1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Intake manifold questions and comments

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaun Chandler, Nov 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

I think Mikuni et al, would have used Alu if it caused probelms, the reason they use brass is that it must be more stable near heat applications

2. bcware

bcware Well-read Top Contributor

All of the brass fittings on the stockers are pressed in; I think the reaction he is talking about applies to trying to weld them together.

Now you've all got me thinking about why brass fittings are used. I can't really find anything for information, but I have to imagine it's because it doesn't rust and is soft enough to easily produce tight fittings in an aluminum body.

Brass melts a good 500 degrees (F) above aluminum, but even aluminum can take 1200 F.

3. Hey guys

I'm not worried about how the aluminum will stand up to the heat of the engine. It already has alot of aluminum and aluminum is highly conductive like copper and brass.

The reaction I was talking about is the natural reaction for dissimilar metals to corrode when they come into contact. Since they are not of the same type you can't easily weld them together. You can weld things like steel to stainless because they are both iron based. You just have to pick the right filler rod. Brass is stronger the copper due to being alloyed with zinc it also doesn't tarnish like copper normally would.

Aluminum should be a good match The flange is already aluminum so making th vacuum fitting aluminum shouldn't be an issue.

Shaun

4. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

suck it and see then... geddit vacuum? suck it and see?......never mind

5. Charles

Charles XS400 Addict

Hey Shaun...how's school? Any updates? huh, huh??

6. NicksXS

NicksXS XS400 New Member

MikesXS.com sells a billet aluminum boot. The only difference is the vacuum/sync port is not on the aluminum. You could tap them to have a sync port but I haven’t really found any other reason why you would need them beside to do a dynamic sync.

7. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

When syncing carbs you need to do it at idle and the bike warm. If you don't have any ports this can't be done. There are gauges that go directly into the mouth of the carbs but I don't think they would fit into the space and you should have all the intake/air boxes hooked up when doing this. If you want a good running bike a sync is a must.

8. Travis

Travis Staff Member Staff Member

@NicksXS Welcome to the site. You did just bump an almost 7 year old thread though. :D

xschris likes this.
  9. NicksXS

NicksXS XS400 New Member

I didn’t look at the date. Lol

10. Leviathan

Leviathan XS400 Member

Hey, any chance you have a .dxf or .dwg file for the flange you would want to share?