Intro and Build

hey, he did a good job on that tray!:thumbsup:

I just made tabs in my tubes and cut diamond plate ally out. screwed that to the bottom of the frame rails.

I might have saved a few ounces of weight over yours :laugh:

CadXS said:
My plans for the bike seem to be in a constant state of flux, changing from week to week as new builds I find on the internet and these type of forums inspire me in a different direction...
My main problem is me and my ability to decide on something, buy a few parts and then completely change my mind

:laugh: I can totally relate. I can't even recall how many times I change my mind on my first build.

Great work so far, keep the pics (and the stories) coming!

Merry Christmas everyone !!!

I've been trying to figure out how to mount the electrics tray and rear mudguard. My lack of tools and a proper workspace is begining to frustrate me a little bit. I'm probably going to have to jump on the train again and drag my ass back to my parents and beg/borrow/steal some equipment again.

Mudguard (fender)
I've had a bit of a nightmare with the mudguard. With the light off and bursting for a piss one morning I managed to trip over a pair of boots on my bedroom floor and stamp on the mudguard :doh: I completely bent it in half, what a dickhead.... I've managed to cut it into two parts, with a short section I maybe could use for the front and a longer section for the rear. Not sure if either section will do the job properly and give me the look I'm after (whatever that is :shrug:).

I've tried mocking up the rear mudguard. I'm trying to use a couple of tabs I left on the frame and a piece of flat aluminium bar as the bottom mount.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20210.JPG

I also found somebody selling threaded bar for making rose joints for suspensions and used some of this to try and make a spacer for the top mount.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20206.JPG

Trying to cope these with a dremel was a pain in the ass...

I've drilled a hole as close to the end of the mudguard as I dared for the bottom mount to use as much as I can, and mocked up with some tape holding things together.

What do you think???

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20216.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20214.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20215.JPG

A couple of things jumped to my mind straight away:

1. Is the mudguard too narrow and too short? I've a small tail light to fit on and the number plate (which may act to extend the effective length in terms of stopping rain shooting up my back).

2. Is one fixing point enough on the top mount? Would two have been better to protect against any sideways twisting motion i.e. me kicking it when trying to heave my leg over the rear of the bike.

3. Is the relationship to the rear wheel correct, how will it change as wheel is moved as the chain stretches?

Maybe I should stop worrying about it and go and have some Christmas dinner :wink2:

Any and all thoughts and ideas most welcome....

I think your going to have to make a bracket (or change one already done) for the reg plate. I've used my no plate to extend the rear guard area

87381603.jpg

I need to angle the No plate from the middle, backwards. Or i will prob get an alloy one and roll it!

Not done much on my build in the last few weeks :( Still cannot find anyone to do some welding in London for me, and my buddy with the welder I borrowed last time is working overseas for a few months :banghead:

Got a few more parts...

Keihin carb for a possible 2-1 carb conversion

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20219.JPG

A mate of mine sorted me out with 4m of 48 core cable that I stripped down

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20220.JPG

That should be enough cable, lol.

Some indicators (turn signals)

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20221.JPG

Neat little tail light that I'm happy with, 15 euro from Germany

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20223.JPG

Finally, I've been trying to figure out how to fit all my electrics together and planning out the new wiring

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20224.JPG

Now if only I could find somebody with a welder....

Oh mate I feel your pain. I live in an apartment and have no workshop too.
What type of battery are you using as I want to ditch mine and set up for kick start only (starter is buggered anyway).

Good luck with finding a local welder.

I'm just using an ancient arc welder i bought when i was 15. that was ahem,... years ago.

If you know someone who has a garage with power, buy one of those cheap Aldi ones, £40 i think they are, and have a go yourself. I don't weld often so i start off crap and near the end finish up with a decent job. I'm just slow at it!

Oh mate I feel your pain. I live in an apartment and have no workshop too.
What type of battery are you using as I want to ditch mine and set up for kick start only (starter is buggered anyway).

Good luck with finding a local welder.

Hey Pork Chop, was that diagram ok? Trying to build a bike in an apartment is a pain in the ass!!! Even simple things like filing a piece of steel...no vice to hold it, worrying about ruining the carpet, getting bits of metal in your bed, what am I doing, lol.

Look what I did to the kitchen ceiling of the apartment below me...

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20156.jpg

That is suspiciously motorbike shaped and was directly below where I've got my bike in my bedroom above :eek: If my landlord found out about the bike he would go mental :yikes:

I'm just using an ancient arc welder i bought when i was 15. that was ahem,... years ago.

If you know someone who has a garage with power, buy one of those cheap Aldi ones, £40 i think they are, and have a go yourself. I don't weld often so i start off crap and near the end finish up with a decent job. I'm just slow at it!

This may sound stupid but of all the friends and people I know in London, not one of them has a garage...It's my fault for having cheap ass friends who all live in rented accomodation and still think they are 21 and blow their money getting pissed and going on holiday. They should be settling down, getting married and buying the big house with a GARAGE.

Oh well...

Sorry Pork Chop I never answered your question.

The battery is a 2.3Ah Yuasa that you get for backing up alarms and stuff like that. I think the general consensus is that if you remove the starter and go kick only any battery above 2-3Ah should be ok and you can get them in pretty small sizes to hide it wherever.

With the smaller Ah batteries its probably best to wire your lighting circuit so that the lights can be switched off while you try to kick the bike to stop any drain while attempting to start.

Caddy

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram Caddy. Sorry but I responded in the original post not by pm. The wiring diagram looks good & i will get working on it tomorrow. Looks I will need to learn how to use my multimeter - after I find.
Will the Yuasa battery hold up with all the vibrations on a bike.?

Will the Yuasa battery hold up with all the vibrations on a bike.?

Not too sure to honest mate :shrug: Yuasa are a decent make in the battery world and I'm mounting it between the seat rails in my electrics tray and it will have a bit of foam padding so I'm hoping for the best really...

ok Caddy...what the heck did you do to that bike to make the plaster fall from the ceiling!!!????!!!!???

Ermmm...I may have been sat on it....I may have been making some brmmm,brmmm noises...there even could have been some bouncing up and down due to the jumps I was hitting :bike:

If you are my landlord then I was out of the country that weekend doing charity work and the ceiling collapsing in the apartment below me was pure coincedence :oops:

Haha, that ceiling cracked me up. :)

How did you come by the picture?

Great work so far Cad!
How strict are the rules in UK regarding getting it street-legal?

Haha, that ceiling cracked me up. :)

How did you come by the picture?

Great work so far Cad!
How strict are the rules in UK regarding getting it street-legal?

The worse thing about the ceiling was I think it happened on a Sunday night. I only found out walking down the stairs past the apartment below the next morning and seeing the tenants talking to some builders in the hallway. They showed me the damage and asked me if I had a water leak or anything that could have caused the damage :eek:

They then dropped the bombshell that the landlord (about 75, Irish and crazy) was coming round to check my apartment for damage :yikes:

Quickly making my excuses I ran back uptairs in a bit of a panick to stare at the motorbike sat in the middle of my bedroom.

What followed was the quickest tear down of a motorbike in history, lol. What a nightmare....I had the frame in my bed under the covers, the forks under the couch, wheels and tank in the bath with the shower curtain closed. Every space that could hide part of a motorbike was filled. It was like some bad comedy movie where somebody opens a cupboard door and a whole stack of shit falls on top of them.

I ambushed the landlord at my front door with a cup of tea and some chat about his family (4 brothers and 5 sisters, no contraception for these guys :laugh:) and managed to stop him looking around too much.

Quite possibly one of the worse days of my life, plus 2 hours late for work and a nervous wreck :shootme:

To get the bike on the road in the UK we have to pass a yearly inspection called an MOT. So it needs both brakes, indicators, dip/main headlight, good tyres etc etc....

They are not so bothered about frame mods as long as they are safe, not like in some European countries and Japan were they can be super strict.

Love it. In Australia they are very tight on everything. I have to have all indicators and lights a certain height and width from each other and the ground

Back