Intro and Build

Borrowed this light off a mate to see how it looked. Stole the idea from Lang on the TCU, and would fit a speedo in the top.

What do you think?

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20225.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20226.JPG

Just thrown on there at the moment.

that is beautiful light. lol i have an ilumination fetish for bikes. i bought eight before i found the right one lol. and what are those holders off of? they look way cleaner than the stockers

What's the light off ? Italian lightweight ?

Yes mate, it's a CEV Tipo 130mm (they also did a Tipo 105mm) found on Italian lightweights as you said. The headlight also houses a 60mm speedo, the ignition switch, headlight switch and a couple of warning lights. I will post the wiring diagram when I get home tonight for anybody who is interested.

Damn love the light and brackets I to want to know what they came off

The light is as mentioned above, the brackets were from ebay in the US (still cheaper even with shipping than in the UK) and are just an aluminium headlight bracket found on Triumphs, BSA, Norton etc. I've heard them called bunny ear? brackets as well.

Last edited:
The wiring diagram mentioned above...

CEV%20Tipo%20130%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

It's a bit of a head scratcher. I will probably change the wiring to suit my set up and to convert to 12V.

Where did you get that from? Looks like it's from an old Brit bike manual. Not sure it's a good starting point, only shows one plug/points, and doesn't the Yam have quite a few more wires from the generator?
Has anyone posted a simplified diagram for custom applications on here?
Perhaps we can find one somewhere on the 'net. Of course another way is to start with a photocopy of the diagram from your Haynes or whatever, and gradually tippex out the irrelevant bits, I've tried that in the past and it works quite well.

And just realised, that's an old DC generator and regulator set-up, more akin to my pre-war Triumph :)
(mind you, my Triumph has a mag, so not even any ignition system !!)

This was just a wiring diagram that came with the light to show the connections. Probably an old Ducati or Benelli, not how I'm wiring the bike.

Great story CadXS!

I have a headlight similar to that on my project XS650. It's larger and has a visor, I'm told from an Ural and I also have similar ears I got from MikesXS: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products

uralheadlight.jpg

Just found this on 650 rider, I'm sure the gent who posted wouldn't mind, but if the mods think I've overstepped the mark they can remove the link
http://650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=download&id=6453

If you didn't know, I also own and maintain 650rider. If that diagram came from where I remember it coming from, the poster won't mind as he likes to share the diagrams with everyone.

If you didn't know, I also own and maintain 650rider. If that diagram came from where I remember it coming from, the poster won't mind as he likes to share the diagrams with everyone.

I didn't, I do now, nice one :thumbsup:

Slow but steady progress the last couple of weeks.

Of course I bought some more random parts...

Tarozzi fork brace that I ordered months ago and kind of forgot about, with a bit of fender jammed in there to see how it would look.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20234.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20235.JPG

A Yam CG125 left switch unit from a wreakers yard with a handlebar grip to show size

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20236.JPG

Finally got some welding done thanks to Dan (Lowdowndan) who very kindly welded in the crush tubes to hold my electrics tray. He also patiently listened to me rambling on about XS400's and how great his bike is (superb by the way :D). Thanks again Dan :thumbsup:

Before, trying to line things up

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20229.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20230.JPG

After, welded in and trimmed down to size with a bit of undercoat on the tray

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20237.JPG

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20238.JPG

Got a rear fender turning up next week and once that is fitted it might be time to actually try and put this thing together :yikes:

Nice one, I was just thinking things had gone quiet at your end. Where did you get the brace, and love the minimal front mudguard.

Back