1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for "how to" on drilled sprocket cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chkm8, Sep 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

Somewhere on the Global Intraweb I saw a write up of a how to on drilling a sprocket cover for the xs400. I swear to God I have done every type of search on here, bing, google, yahoo and the neighbor down the street trying to find it again. (Mental note - bookmark things that look interesting) Has anyone else seen this and can steer me to where it is? This write up was interesting because the author talked about how to avoid drilling through the parts of the cover that strengthen it.

2. XS400D

XS400D Carb Fiddling Enthusiast

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  3. Daddio

Daddio XS400 Addict

Just go for it!!! Get a basic theme, line it out with a sharpie and go for it. I think more is better and use different size bits. Some guys like symmetry and if that is your thing line it out and hammer your points so the drill bit doesn't jump. But these covers are very soft and if you start slow with a sharp bit you should have no problems.

Good luck.

4. DCopp

DCopp 400 Maxim/Seca Guru

[​IMG]

drill press

5. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

6. volcomskater77

volcomskater77 XS400 Chopophile Top Contributor

where is ahale?
    didnt he drill his?

7. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

Thanks for the help guys. Not sure if the thread I'm looking for is on this forum or another. I just remember the author had made a template that avoided all the strengthening gussets on the backside of the cover.

8. drewpy

just drill from the back then!

9. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

Well, I guess I get the "Captain Obvious" award on that one. Thanks for pointing that out :)

10. drewpy

you're welcome :D

11. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student