Looking To See What Price To List At

helitack

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I inherited a XS400 and am planning on selling it. I don't really know much about them and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for how much I should ask for it. Bike details:
1979 XS400
Like New (seriously runs perfect and not a blemish on it)
9000km (<5000 miles)
Black
Single Owner. Has been in a garage for 20 Years or so.
I am in Canada.
_yamaha-xs400-8.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey, I've seen your ad on Kijiji on my regular trawls. Honestly, even in the kind of shape it's in, I don't think it's worth much more than $2000. I paid $1000 for a running 81 with 11000 kliks and in rougher condition and maybe another $500 getting it on the road (including an out of province, it had been previously registered in Saskatchewan). Yours is nice but these bikes just aren't remarkably valuable in absolute cash value terms.

Another factor: is it registered and insured now? I found out my bike was originally from Alberta when I went for the request for inspection form, but the last time it was registered in Alberta was 1989 and it would have needed an out of province anyway for not having been insured inside ten years.

Note for forum folks from outside Alberta: these bikes are not super common up here, the market's a bit looser than some regions.

Thanks for the great reply. Registering it is not something I thought about. I will keep that in mind.
Does anyone else have any thoughts? Even from other markets?

Have to agree with levdir (although my market is far away)

You may want to take the fairing off, it's not a stock feature and many people (including myself) don't think it fits well.

also, has it been sitting in a garage for 20 years doing nothing, or did someone recently clean it and tuned it up? What I mean to say is if there are new cables, tires, battery, chain, sprockets, oil, fork seals, etc on there it will be worth more than a bone stock bike with original tires.

If it all works and needs nothing it's a $1800 bike all day in my area. Or a least that's what I would be willing to pay.

Back