made a chain guard today

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Lat time the bike was MOT'd the assessor gave me a warning that they check I need a chain guard fitting. I could still run without one, but would stilll get that warning on the MOT certificate (printout nowerdays)
snagged a stainless steel shelf from work so I used the edge as the main run and the shelf part to mount on the front.

the rear mount was L shaped and pop riveted onto the cover.

these are £50 to buy and this cost nothing. I'm not overly struck on it TBH so it might not stay on.

(yes I know the chain is slack, get MOT then its off the road for the upgrade)

chain%20cover_zpspziq4tuy.jpg

Dosnt look that bad!
Id maybe round off the back of it instead of being a straight cut but It looks smart enough to run it

Just noticed you've got a plate to protect the filters from crop the tyres flicks up that just a sheet of aluminium? Anychance of a picture of the top of it too see how you've done it? Planning on doing the same just curious how you've done it

Dosnt look that bad!
Id maybe round off the back of it instead of being a straight cut but It looks smart enough to run it

Just noticed you've got a plate to protect the filters from crop the tyres flicks up that just a sheet of aluminium? Anychance of a picture of the top of it too see how you've done it? Planning on doing the same just curious how you've done it

that's just a flat aluminium plate, separate from the horizontal plate (which contains the electrics) I used a sand bag and shot peen hammer to get the bulge shape in it.

Just got piece of cardboard and get the basic layout. its then held with the 2 bolts and is snug at the top.

with the chain guard, there is a 45 edge all round so bending the end will either need that removing or the sides will crease

I keep putting off making mine. They want it to be 1 1/2 the width of the chain, was to go beyond to point where it enters the side cover, and extend past the rear sprocket. Pain in the ass!

Looks nice and simple.

I was pondering way to make a chain guard the other day. One idea was to bend a piece of stainless tube into a "J" shape, cut the bottom half off down the length of it, and attach mounting brackets.
Would almost look like a mini fender for the chain.

Looks nice and simple.

I was pondering way to make a chain guard the other day. One idea was to bend a piece of stainless tube into a "J" shape, cut the bottom half off down the length of it, and attach mounting brackets.
Would almost look like a mini fender for the chain.

easier just to buy some alloy channel and take it from there.

this was stainless steel and they sell then for the SR500

13996_0.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...SR400-Cafe-Racer-Bobber-Tracker-/121117318638

My wife is a pipefitter with access to cnc benders and a welding shop. My ideas tend to go towards whatever she can fabricate. :)

Back