Making aftermarket LED turn signals work

spurt_yamagut

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post, so I'll give a little introduction. Almost two months ago I bought an '81 xs 400. It runs great and much more agile than my previous bike, an '80 xs 850, which I named the triple threat b/c it had three cylinders. I bought the 400 for $550 and have put about $600-$700 into it thus far. (front/rear sprockets, chain, tires, turn signal relay, and a new halogen headlight)

As for the turn signal issue. The LED turn signals weren't working at all. The kid I bought it from said he thought he wired them wrong, so I took him at his word thinking that might be true, or that the relay could have blown out. (I had the same problem with my 850) After rewiring the signals correctly, rather than just twisting the wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape like the previous owner had done :wtf:, the lights came on but wouldn't flash. After looking around on this site's forums I determined that my relay probably couldn't handle current flowing to the new LEDs. This guy on youtube posted a video (
) that shows how to install a Tridon EP 34 turn signal relay. I bought one of these cheap relays on Amazon for $12 dollars and it works great! I hope this helps others in the future with their turn signal problems.

For the record, this site is awesome and the posts by members have been extremely helpful. You guys rock! I hope I can contribute and help out others too!

Welcome to the community,

There is tons of great info on here, everyone wants to see pics so get some posted up!!!

Back