Maxim Build

spectra

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The 78-81 is pretty much done and the wife kind of said its hers :laugh2: so who am I to complain..........;) picked up a 1100 a few weeks ago and got it running and love it but........its one hell of a bike and it will freaken scream with a twist of the throttle.......its a heavy thing to and steers like a tractor......so was looking at craigslist and found this gem.......always wanted a mono shock bike and finally found one for the next project........kind of want to do a café and that's where I am leaning..........these things are fugly so I don't feel so bad plus it has issues on the plastic......picked it up for a whopping 250 today. It runs and drives pretty good. Needs a few things fixed but works for the price as I am cheap and would rather fix it up then spend more out of pocket first.......

IMG_4043.JPG
IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG

Well the bike has been repainted at some point as its missing the tank badges. Otherwise clean little bike but you will learn the grips suck and the bar mounted choke control is annoying.

But they are fun little bikes and don't be afraid to ride the snot out of it. I've had mine right up to 9k

Well the bike has been repainted at some point as its missing the tank badges. Otherwise clean little bike but you will learn the grips suck and the bar mounted choke control is annoying.

But they are fun little bikes and don't be afraid to ride the snot out of it. I've had mine right up to 9k

Those grips are Harley Davidson though :laugh2: they even have the logo on them......closest I will ever get to owning one I think........took it for a spin last night and I like it. Not sure what it is but there is something about these little bikes.

Looking for parts online..................front caliper rebuild kit for one.

Anyone know where to get one? Had an ebay lead but the seller is gone. Mikes doesn't have any also.

Thanks!

Looks like Yambits has some:
http://yambits.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=XS400+DOHC
They're a pretty good store with some harder to find items.

Looks like a few different bikes used the same caliper:
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-29L-2580U-00-00.html

Why do all the parts have to be out of the country :rolleyes:

Looking for parts stateside if I can find them. this sucks looking for parts..........it doesn't leak now but hedging my bets for later on...........

Title showed up today so it has begun............need to do a little more cleaning before the motor comes out.
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG

start flame 2.jpg
start flame.jpg

Nice, and it begins again....yours is in a much better state to start than mine is. You can sure learn a lot by totally dismantling a bike to it's frame....

Looking for progressive springs.........anyone know a part number or ? Every time I find something it doesn't materialize.........

Doesn't Mikes xs have some?

They have some for 35mm forks but says 650. They are only about 19" in length also. 24mm x 484mm will look into them tonight to see if they fit as Mikes doesn't say they fit the maxim.

Ok so a bunch of parts have showed up.............its time to get this thing going............

It all starts here :D
IMG_4166.jpg

Picked up my wheels today from my powder coater as I had them blast them. I didn't want to powder coat them as I cant find bearings for the rear but front was toast but all balls had them. After doing 2 sets black I couldn't have a third bike with black wheels.......so let me know what you think......new shinkos are waiting to go on them.
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG

Frame gets a cleaning tomorrow at work and going to weld on a loop and clean it up. Have a rear shock off a R1 so need to modify for that but I will just copy Jeff on that one ;)

So a little time at work and cleaned the frame of all the unwanted stuff......still not sure what way I want the rear to look like so am waiting on that part.
IMG_4227.JPG

Mounted the R1 shock and will just leave it all tacked up until I can get the front end on.

IMG_4232.JPG

Had an extra 400 tank so a little heat and a porta power and well it fits sort of.........

IMG_4235.JPG

Ended up using the factory rubber and will really get them attached once I know it works. I don't want it to be a pita to get them off if I don't like it once the bike is together. Heavy white line was the factory tank and one on the right is the new tank.
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

That's about it for the weekend.........up next is to clean up the forks and put them back together with some progressive springs and get the tree cleaned up and install new bearings.

I like the direction you're taking on this one. I have not been a fan of the look of the dohc bikes but this tank could change that. It's looking pretty good so far, I know it's going to be nice when it's done.

I like the direction you're taking on this one. I have not been a fan of the look of the dohc bikes but this tank could change that. It's looking pretty good so far, I know it's going to be nice when it's done.

Yeah they are fugly and should change this to the Red Headed Stepchild build :laugh2: as it gets no love..........

I wish the tank could sit a little lower but the backbone on these things are huge...........I may go and search one more time at the local boneyard.....I picked up a tank but once I got it home and really inspected it someone had lined it and well it looked like crap on the inside so more yard art........

Hey man,

Really like what your doing since I plan on doing the same. Got myself a nice XS400 maxim and started to collect some parts. Will be building pretty soon. Good luck with yours mate!

Thanks! and post some pics of you build when you get going on it.

Back