Maxim Build

Thanks and it just has a lot of adjustment for the ride. Plus way newer technology and it looks cooler to :D
It does look great for sure. Knowing nothing, I kinda assumed a monoshock just has one adjustment. What more can you do with this one?

It does look great for sure. Knowing nothing, I kinda assumed a monoshock just has one adjustment. What more can you do with this one?

Ok stole this pic from @Jeff0133 and his All Over the Place.....Maxim build he has a lot more in site on the shock than I do :D
screenshot_20170312-074838-png.28644

Had a little time today after raking leaves.........love this time of year :rolleyes: so pulled the forks apart and cleaned them up I swear one fork had black tar in it........the other one looked great. Installed new seals, oil and progressive springs and gave them a little love with the polisher.

Need to mock up the bike for ride height and see how it all works together now.......day off tomorrow so maybe a little time will see.

IMG_4257.jpg

Well had a few beers and football sucks and baseball just doesn't do it either tonight..........so..........tossed a few pieces onto it to see what it looks like. Motor maybe tomorrow as I didn't want to wrestle with it tonight my back is soar right now.....

Still not sure I like the tank or not and let me know what you think of the wheels.......I kind of like them but still not set on them. Thinking if I stick with them I should almost go a gray or dark gray frame maybe? Hell I suck at colors :laugh2: or even a silver maybe ?

IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG

Also polished the brake cover and I like that part.......

IMG_4258.JPG

I really like it! I would stay with those wheels and that tank unless I could fit one of the knee dent cafe tanks. I think you have it going great. I did some thing a little different with my frame color wise. my plans to keep the frame stock has been scrapped too...can't get the look right!

I want the tank to sit about an inch and a half lower so it will flush out with the bottom of the frame. Trying to get a parallel line with the tank and frame. Right now as it sits tank is about a half inch taller than the frame and do not have any room to go down.

Been eyeing a XS750 standard tank as I have an XS1100 standard tank but it is just way to wide on the tunnel. I think I have 4 tanks in the garage and none of them work.........

This is the tank I am eying but hate buying stuff I cant physically touch and put eyes on...........
s-l250.jpg

Last edited:
If you want the tank lower then that's your deal but personally I'm a fan of the way it looks.

Are you going to leave the shock exposed? If so what are you doing for air filter and battery placement?

If you want the tank lower then that's your deal but personally I'm a fan of the way it looks.

Are you going to leave the shock exposed? If so what are you doing for air filter and battery placement?

Battery will be under the seat in a pan. Air filters will be unis probably as I have used them in the past. I think I have an H pipe left over somewhere and may try and use it or fab something up.

Well picked this up today.....................hopefully it works out as now I have a few tanks that are garage ornaments..........I even found a 77 400 tank and well couldn't bring myself to molest it to make it fit :eek:

53271003816__A7B18A7E-B655-4D28-B6C7-65440F004F94.jpeg

After doing 2 sets black I couldn't have a third bike with black wheels.......so let me know what you think......

I'd rattle can gold them in a professional automotive spray booth. But I'm weird like that.:laugh:

But in all seriousness. I do like the gold look on mine. Also, no such thing as too many black bikes or wheels. They always look good.

So the 750 tank was just to big for this bike.............imagine that one :D so seeing the post on the Greg Hageman thread got me thinking...........I really like the looks of that bike its more of a scrambler look and I like those. Bars are a little higher than a cafe but still like the looks of the 750s he builds.........anyway got me thinking and looked for a tank and well what he used was just not available.......so my next favorite tank came into play and you know what it fits the wide ass frame of the Maxim :eek: I think it will work and now need to find one to fit my 920 project.........sort of want matching bikes........big and little........

Anyway sorry to say it came off a Kawi :laugh2: but it looks good..............
IMG_5024.jpg
IMG_5025.jpg

Looks good, love the lines. Prepped 2 for paint today and found....more dings bonded up. Turned into a bigger project than expect. Once I hit them with stripper it was all over. I will be plugging along filling dings and bangs....yipee, happy 4th of July! I have come to believe all of these tanks have had body work.

Looks good, love the lines. Prepped 2 for paint today and found....more dings bonded up. Turned into a bigger project than expect. Once I hit them with stripper it was all over. I will be plugging along filling dings and bangs....yipee, happy 4th of July! I have come to believe all of these tanks have had body work.

I am having this one done by a painter..................I have been sanding............and sanding..................and sanding............I hate this shit.......Hell I am into maybe 200 in just paper, primer, bondo and other shit.......its nuts......but in the end am hoping the cafe will look good.

If I had some one to do it for me I would! I long for those 20 plus years in the auto repair business when I could get stuff done for a case of beer. How much does it cost you to powdercoat wheels? I got a price that seemed a bit much so I will be painting them.

If I had some one to do it for me I would! I long for those 20 plus years in the auto repair business when I could get stuff done for a case of beer. How much does it cost you to powdercoat wheels? I got a price that seemed a bit much so I will be painting them.

:laugh2: well what was the price ? Also remember the rear wheels have the rubber inserts and not sure they can handle the heat............I painted all wheels as I was afraid the rubber would get messed up........also I spend almost 50K a year at my powdercoat guy so when it comes to my own shit I just bring beer ;)

k

Back