1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

MODS HELP:hack attempt

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by BigDick, Feb 20, 2015.

1. BigDick

BigDick XS400 Enthusiast

Just got an email saying that someone attempted to access my account. It gave me this. Let me know if there's anything elseI can help with.

2. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

there are no mods on this site, just Travis :)

3. Travis

Travis Staff Member Staff Member

Yeah they've been busy lately trying to get into user accounts. As long as your password is decent, the software is doing it's job by blocking them after 5 unsuccessful attempts. The only option I can think of would be to add an image verification to log in, but everyone hates those so I don't intend on doing that. I think with only 5 attempts, trying to get into someone's account using brute force techniques is only going to work if someone has a bad password like 1234 or 'password'. Even then all they'll do is post spam and I'll delete it and change the users password.

4. BigDick

BigDick XS400 Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if it happens again to my account.

5. Travis

Well I guess should have been more worried. A spammer got into Oldskoolcarb's account and sent 35 spam Private Messages. Thankfully someone reported it right away so I was able to clean it up. If anyone got something weird from him that was why.

6. mpetry

mpetry XS400 Enthusiast

Yep, I got that one today.

7. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    Must be those same people that have been posting ads from china on here.

8. BigDick

BigDick XS400 Enthusiast

If you click the link above it shows the ip that hit me was based in the Ukraine.

9. rugbywarrior89

rugbywarrior89 Need more time...

I got a private message that was spam. I read it in my email. But once I logged onto the site, it shows that I have a new message notification but there is nothing in my inbox. WTF?:shrug:

10. Travis

rugbywarrior89, send me (or anyone) a PM and see if it goes away.. That's from the manually deleted PM. I need to figure out where the trigger for that notification is stored in the database.

11. Travis

I found where this is coming from and can fix it for anyone who needs it, if sending a PM doesn't work.

12. Travis

I'm glad sending a PM worked. :)

13. ivor

ivor XS400 Addict

I got the spammer log on warning last night. As I sold my XS about 4 or 5 years ago I'd probably best delete my account. Have fun guys, toodle-pip ...............

14. ivor

ivor XS400 Addict

Ok, can't find delete account tab, Travis, can you 'delete' me please ?
    (Ha, ha, sounds kinda funny that, hope a piano don't fall out of the sky !).

15. Travis

If your password is decent there is really nothing to worry about, but I will close your account.