New guy building XS400 Softail Bobbers

Bit of an update.
Took a mini vacation with wifey and the dogs to see if we can all live together in the coach for 5 months when we are able to go south to Palm Springs CA in the future, we've spent 2 winters there before but had no pets with us.

Back to building! Stretching the swing arm on #2 build 2 7/8" to match swing arm length of #1 build. Picked up some 1 1/4" .065" and some 1 1/8" .120" DOM. Cut the 1 1/8" plugs to 6" and the 1 1/4" to 2 7/8". Will drill the arm tubes to plug weld the plug in place and then circumference weld and plug weld the 1 1/4" tube to finish it off.
Couple pics

Test fit mock up
IMG_2627.jpg

Test fit mock up close view
IMG_2628.jpg

Buddha, I am enjoying your progress. Everything looks well thought out (battery weight down low, the order of work, etc). It will be fun following along.

Thanks CaptChrome! I find this a very refreshing diversion from building Super 7 cars.
I will also enjoy your restore/refresh build. Too bad I'm north of the 49th. I have some pieces you need. Don't want any money for them, but shipping may be the killer.

Last edited:
Made it out to the shop for a bit today.
Drilled plug weld holes, put it all together, jigged, measured, squared, measured, squared then glued it together.
Swing arm #2 (in etch primer) is now as long as swing arm #1.
IMG_2629.jpg

Then final welded frame, wire brushed, sanded, de-greased, masked, and painted the frame on #1.
IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

Out to the shop for a bit today.
Did some final assembly.
Installed tapered bearing kit on bike #1. Temperarlly installed forks to align steering head crown. Installed handle bar holders, handle bar, front MC assembly, and handle bar switches. Installed swing arm and shocks. Installed battery box.
Some pics.
IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Bit more final assembly. Installed switch and signal/headlight mount. Installed front signal lights. Installed rear signal lights. Installed clutch assembly on bar. Installed headlight.
Couple 3 pics.
IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

Looking good! Are you doing all of the black paint yourself with rattle cans (I see something I recognize - a cardboard box with paint on it in the background)?

Thanks CaptChrome!
I'm using Dupli Color wheel paint for the frame, rims, and other parts. It's the low gloss black, not real shiny. It's very fast drying, by time you finish one coat, you can pretty well start the second coat and so on.
51qpB3mvrEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Bit more final assembly done today.
Rear wheel is on, put together rear brake system and commissioned it. Disregard brake pedal, I will be building forward controls on these bikes.
Some pics
IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

Today was disassembly fork day. Did one fork at a time. Cleaned, flushed, polished, and reassmbled with new upper oil seals and dust seals and new oil. Installed forks on bike, torque sequence to follow.
Installed disc on front wheel and torqued and lock tabbed. Lubricated and installed speedo gear assembly on front wheel. Installed front wheel on forks. Torque sequence to follow.
Some pics.

Right fork cleaned and ready for assembly.
IMG_2682.jpg

Front wheel assembly installed.
IMG_2683.jpg

Couple of views.
IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Managed to get out to the shop for a bit today. Installed front brake caliper assembly and torqued to specs, installed brake hose, filled with fluid, bled, and commissioned front brake system. Don't mind the generic P clips, will look at getting OEM clips in the future (this basket case didn't have the front ones).
IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

Finished body work on rear fender and temporary installed on bike.
IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

I am really enjoying bobbing these bikes.

The shocks are new aftermarket ones from Parts N More.

Did some fab work and mounted the rear brake light/marker holder. Then with the help of my oldest son inserted a big piece of aluminum on the bike.
Some pics
IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty nice fab skills Buddha! And I don't just mean on the bikes as I am pretty jealous of that custom roll-around motorcycle bench. There is a chopped hand truck in there and some nicely fitted and strong metal work.

Pretty nice fab skills Buddha! And I don't just mean on the bikes as I am pretty jealous of that custom roll-around motorcycle bench. There is a chopped hand truck in there and some nicely fitted and strong metal work.
Ha Ha Ha Ha good eye CaptChrome, that is indeed a repurposed hand truck I had.

Spend some relaxing time Sunday in the shop. Torqued up various items. Installed new chain, new coils, new HT wires, new plug caps, new aftermarket spade terminal fuse box, new throttle cable and new carb mounts. Installed rubber mounted rectifier and voltage regulator, installed condenser. I then mocked up the carbs, H pipe, and filters to get an idea of the overall look of the bike.
Some pics.

New coils
IMG_2700.jpg

Coils and condenser installed, the HT wires will be routed on the inner side of the tubes.
IMG_2701.jpg

Fuse box installed
IMG_2704.jpg

Voltage reg and rectifier installed with rubber washers.
IMG_2705.jpg

Overall view of the bike so far
IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Emgo pods ? I would still use the black foam uni’s. Much better filtering and tuning. 6” foam ends.

Yeah I hear ya xschris, uni filters (UP-6200) north of the 49th are $23CAN ($18.25US) each. I may have to bite the bullet and get some if the pods prove difficult to tune at 2251' AMSL, time will tell.

Today I installed the points, gapped, and static timed. Then I mocked up the exhaust system to see what I need for completion.
IMG_2715.jpg

;)$40 (us) is a small price to pay for a good running bike and make it last.

Yeah I hear ya xschris, uni filters (UP-6200) north of the 49th are $23CAN ($18.25US) each. I may have to bite the bullet and get some if the pods prove difficult to tune at 2251' AMSL, time will tell.
View attachment 36807

It's not about difficulty of tuning. Either foam or cloth pods are going to be a bunch of work, but the cloth ones are objectively worse filters that will let more dirt in.

Back