1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New member First Bike First Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XSDunn, Oct 28, 2016.

1. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Hey guys my names Alex I bought a '78 xs400 a while back and finally decided to start building her this winter. It's my first bike, I'm hoping to learn as I go and learn a bunch from my fellow forum members!
    Now the bike I bought disassembled as the previous owner who was going to turn it into a cafe racer. The plan is to resurrect the bike into a scrambler/brat. I have already began to strip all unnecessary parts off and clean up the frame, prepping for a rear hoop and electronics tray.

Parts on order:
    - Rear hoop, diy rear fender, scrambler front fender, carb holder, speedo holder and indicator brackets from Two Hands Motorcycles.
    - Brembo PS13 rear master cylinder (factory is shot)
    - Stainless brake lines
    - Zero Dark 7" LED Jeep Wrangler headlight
    - Gazi Sport Lite shocks
    - XS650 reg/rec from MikesXS
    - LED indicators from BAAK Motorcycles
    - Shock mount plate holder from Gasbox
    - Bates LED taillight
    - Sparck Moto harness
    - MMCC switch blocks
    - Antigravity 4-cell
    - Honda ignition switch
    - Bronze swing-arm bushings
    - Tapered steering bearings
    - Mini speedo from Cognito Moto
    - New coils
    - Pod filters

Currently have super-bike bars from DCC, Domino throttle, Nissin 14mm front master and a clutch perch + lever from a 08 Kawasaki ZX10R for controls. I'm going to the front fork mods and brake disc drilling mentioned in the XS650 Minton Mods article. Motor will be rebuilt with fresh gaskets and seals, carb rejet, possibly a 2 to 1 exhaust, and electric ignition.

Thanks again guys!
    IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG

Jeff0133 likes this.
  2. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Welcome, looking forward to your build thread

XSDunn likes this.
  3. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Made a little more progress as Im waiting for the rear hoop and fenders, the old factory rear master cylinder was shot and I bought a Brembo PS13 to replace it. Made some mounts (hardware is 6mm x 1.00) and turned a new push rod (threads are 8mm x 1.25) out of stainless which is about 3/4" longer than the factory to provide plenty of swingarm clearance. Haven't had the chance to weld it in place yet.
    IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    What have you guys been running as replacements for the factory brake rotors? Also does anybody on the forum do custom fab? Looking to get a electronics tray made!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Got parts from Two Hands Motorcycles the other day! Got to work on the tail, more to come.
    IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG

5. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

More progress! Removed the factory crossmember, and replaced it with .75 x .125 tube. Added mounts for the rear aluminum fender as well. Currently sitting at ride height with the Gazi shocks.
    IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG

6. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Nice. I am not sure if your aware but them forks are on backwards.

XSDunn likes this.
  7. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Thanks and yah the whole bike is backwards haha

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

That hoop is exactly the shape I was going to do myself to match the gastank shape and overall squareness of the bike. Ive contaced two hands about shipping..

9. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Great quality products and they just switched to UPS as a shipping carrier so shipping was fair and fast.

10. OleDoc

OleDoc FREEBIRDS MC Central NY

looking good

XSDunn likes this.
  11. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Thanks!

OleDoc likes this.
  12. OleDoc

OleDoc FREEBIRDS MC Central NY

you're welcome

13. Raw Sketch

Raw Sketch XS400 Member

London
  14. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

Did you slug the rear hoop? Is there a place that makes them?

15. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Yes with 3/4" round stock and Two Hands Motorcycles sells the hoop!

16. 81xs400sfttailbbr

81xs400sfttailbbr 81xs400sfttailbbr

PA
    Awesome build...dont mind if a follow the build and take some pointers! im building a 81 xs400 right now

XSDunn likes this.
  17. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

Thanks! Do you have a build thread?

18. 81xs400sfttailbbr

PA
    I currently do not but i am going to start one this weekend! Im having alot of trouble rewiring mine..being that i am not good at wiring!

19. XSDunn

XSDunn XS400 Member

I'm in the same boat haha I decided to ditch the factory harness and use a DIY kit from Sparck Moto which will hopefully help a little.

20. 81xs400sfttailbbr

PA
    Hahaha yeah the old owner went hacking away at the harness and actually cut the fuse box out of the bike....and wired in all fuseable links!