1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New PAMCO electronic ignition on Mike's XS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by motoTrooper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. motoTrooper

motoTrooper XS400 Addict

Just clicked on Mike's XS to see this new item.

Part #14-0999

Seems reasonably priced at $125. Has anyone tried it?

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I wonder if anyone else has tried one yet.

3. I will, however it will be a while until I get to that "point"!

4. 2eightcustoms

2eightcustoms XS400 Enthusiast

does anyone know is the pamco more for a maintinence free ignition (unlike points) or is it a more high performance

5. xschris

It's more like a compact TCI.

6. pamcopete

pamcopete XS400 Enthusiast

Any electronic ignition will produce 50% higher voltage from a given coil than points, so in that case it is performance. An electronic ignition is generally maintenance free as there are no mechanical parts that wear out, except in this case, the PAMCO continues to use the stock mechanical advancer.

Here is a video of a stock coil from a CB750 driven by a set of points

Hwere is that same coil driven by a PAMCO

Note that the video will miss a spark or two, but if you listen you can hear the difference between the two setups. Also, the electronics is identical for all of the PAMCO stand alone ignitions.

buztabuzt likes this.
  7. motoTrooper

motoTrooper XS400 Addict

:cheers:Pete, thanks for your hard work creating something that will help a lot of enthusiasts keep going down the road. I hope it pays off for you and I will buy one.

8. TOUGEFC

TOUGEFC XS400 Enthusiast

Im interested in this new Pamco unit, being new to xs400 would this work with my 1980 xs400 with its different electric setup points system?

9. xschris

This is for bikes with point ignitions. It replaces the points with transistor triggers but still uses the mechanical advance unit so it is not a upgrade for a bike that has a TCI ignition.

10. arfstrom

arfstrom XS400 Guru Top Contributor

@XSChris, so what your saying, there is no reason for the 80 and newer's to worry about this one? This would be a great addition for all the ones with points. Is that what your saying?

11. xschris

Yes for points bike only.

12. motoTrooper

motoTrooper XS400 Addict

Boom! I actually pulled the trigger and bought one. Hope to share soon!

13. Spad

Spad XS400 Addict

We is waiting ! For your opinion:wink2:...Spad

14. eMKay

eMKay XS400 Member

I bought one too, but the bike is running fine at the moment so I won't be installing it until it snows and I tear the bike down to the frame

15. pamcopete

If you source a mechanical advancer, you can install the PAMCO ignition in a SOHC XS400 that has a TCI ignition, allowing you to completely replace the TCI.

16. arfstrom

PamcoPete!
    Did Mikes XS web site, remark which items are good for the various years?78-79/80-81 SOHC, 82-newer DOHC? XS400 vs XS650, Seems to be some guess work is still on the site, and any potential advantages? Thanks Tobie

17. pamcopete

arfstrom,

You will have to check with MikesXS on that.

18. xschris

Would not going back to a mechanical (points) advance system be a step backward from a transistor controlled advance system (TCI). I guess if your TCI box is bad this would be an option. Finding a good mechanical advance unit would be another challenge tho:doh:

19. arfstrom

That was my thought as well. so I when I looked for those keywords, I didn't see anything pointing to xs400, or specifically which year compatible. Then the advantages would be nice to see why I should? or what situation I am in that would require me to jump that direction?