New problem lost keys

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I don`t know how this happened but the key`s to my bike dissapeared..Is there a way to have the bike rekeyed by the vin on the title or do have to remove the ignition switch?If so can someone give me a lead on a thread describing how to remove the switch?Thank You Aaron.By the way its not totally like me to leave the keys outside and very meticulous on where I keep them so its very strange that they would come up missing.
Edit also on my bike the ignition and gas cap are the same key,would I be able to take my tank in and have a new key made that way?

Last edited:
I just had one done last week. If you look at your ignition switch it should contain a 4 digit number engraved in the silver ring. Call a locksmith with that number, take your title and photo ID and he will cut one for you. My local Yamaha dealer could not help me.I you would rather, you can also take the switch-easy removal. The switch is attached to your wiring inside the headlamp, easy connector, then the switch is held by 2 bolts from underneath, I think 12mm thin wall socket worked for me.

Theres a guy on EBay that had a TON of original Yamaha keys.. They had the 4 digit numbers listed in the titles so you could probably search them.

I just searched in "nos yamaha key" and you can even find our style blanks with the yamaha logo on them.

What Petew said.
Can probably use your phone at an awkward angle to take a photo of the key code depending on where it's stamped.
IIRC my 400's is on the bottom but my 360's was on the side. I believe there's a letter prefix you'll need too.
I'd normally recommend http://www.keys4urride.com but they're apparently down for maintenance.

The gas caps only engage three of the four cuts on the key while the ignition reads all four.
A locksmith could make a key from the cap but it'd only work in the cap.

Thanks guys for the replys does`nt seem like to much of a head ache excluding the fact the keys came up missing..

Last edited:
I just had one done last week. If you look at your ignition switch it should contain a 4 digit number engraved in the silver ring. Call a locksmith with that number, take your title and photo ID and he will cut one for you. My local Yamaha dealer could not help me.I you would rather, you can also take the switch-easy removal. The switch is attached to your wiring inside the headlamp, easy connector, then the switch is held by 2 bolts from underneath, I think 12mm thin wall socket worked for me.
Sorry it took me so long to reply but when you mention the two bolts undernieth they are about or close to a size 10 metric correct.I started working on it then we went into a heat wave so I havent been able to do much.

BBS
What Petew said.
Can probably use your phone at an awkward angle to take a photo of the key code depending on where it's stamped.
IIRC my 400's is on the bottom but my 360's was on the side. I believe there's a letter prefix you'll need too.
I'd normally recommend http://www.keys4urride.com but they're apparently down for maintenance.

The gas caps only engage three of the four cuts on the key while the ignition reads all four.
A locksmith could make a key from the cap but it'd only work in the cap.
The site is working on my end how does it work?

I`ll have to remove the head light bucket to get a phone close enough to take a pic of the numbers,I tryed to much stuff in the way.There was two phillips screws on the side of the switch I removed but it does`nt budge.My guess Im going to have to remove the two bolts on the bottom also.Probally be about 3 more days for its comfortable to work on it..I`ll check back in a few days.

Last edited:
Cool, the site is back up, and redesigned.
Type xs400 in the search box. That'll bring up all the keys it could be. The YH numbers are the different key types and each one comes in plain metal or with a plastic covering.
Which YH# it is depends on the letter prefix of the key code on your cylinder. Mine was A##### so it was a YH46. There's B#####, C#####, etc.
Type your code in the key code box once you find out which YH# you need, and order.

They shipped mine quickly and it works perfectly.

Sorry it took me so long to reply but when you mention the two bolts undernieth they are about or close to a size 10 metric correct.I started working on it then we went into a heat wave so I havent been able to do much.
Yes, I just finished reinstalling mine. It is a 10mm.

This silver ring you mention where is it?

Later models have the key code on the bottom of the whole assembly.
Right above the horn wires there's a silver label:
20171008_164909 (Small).jpg

Later models have the key code on the bottom of the whole assembly.
Right above the horn wires there's a silver label:
View attachment 30713
excellent pic and thank you.I`ll have to book mark this page when Im able to get back to working on the bike.We got our first snow today and to work on it outside up here is ludicris.So she is tucked away for the winter.When we spring comes back or if I happen to find someplace warm I`ll be able to back to rekeying the bike.Thanks for the help and happy halloween Aaron

Should be printed on the bottom of the ignition assembly, the grey component in my photo above. :)
A#####, B#####, C#####, etc

Back