Oil Leak

treitz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the 1979 XS400 that I'm working on has been leaking some oil. I checked it out and it looked like it was coming from inside the sprocket cover on the left side. I removed the cover and it looks like an oil bomb exploded in there. So I think I'm on the right track.

I had a 1979 KZ400 with a similar setup and it had an oil leak from the o-ring around the clutch push rod. I imagine this could be similar, or it could be around the shift rod?

I lost some oil from the engine when I adjusted the valves, and now it's not leaking oil anymore, which makes me think that it's probably one of those two items rather than something toward the bottom of the case where oil would always be sitting.

From your experience, where do you guys think the leak is?

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 535
I just replaced the seal on the push rod. My bike only has 13,000 miles on it. When I was trying to determine the problem, I learned the push rod seal is a very common leak and fortunately a cheap and easy fix. Hasn't leaked a drop since I replaced it.

Any advice on removing that oil seal? The one on the KZ400 was impossible to remove without splitting the case. Hopefully this one is easier? Couldn't find it in the manual and haven't seen any instructions online.

Hoping that it's as simple as a circlip...

At least on my 82 it was real simple. Just pulled straight out. If it appears stuck, perhaps use a piece of wire coat hanger with the end bent into a little hook. just be careful not to scratch the sides. I had much more trouble just getting the side cover off.

Back