Piston rings

walleye

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have a problem. I changed the piston rings on my SE (wish i hadn't) and since the change the bike smokes heavily once warmed up. Compression is good. Cylinders were honed to break the glaze. Rings installed stamp side up. New valve seals and valves lapped. I haven't put any miles in to see if the smoke clears as it smokes that bad I don't want to take it on the road. My question is are all SOHC rings the same? My bike is 1980 but the engine number has previously been removed so can't be 100% sure on the year of the engine. Thanks for any help 🙂

Last edited:
Before you put it all back together, did you check the ring gaps by putting them into the jugs and checking with a feeler gauge? If you did, and they were in spec, then they likely have to seat in. When I did a quick re-ring on mine. It smoked for a good couple hundred miles, but not too bad fortunately. And it got less and less as I piled on the miles. If you didn't, then you can try just running it and see if it clears up, or tear it back down to see if there's a problem.

Before you put it all back together, did you check the ring gaps by putting them into the jugs and checking with a feeler gauge? If you did, and they were in spec, then they likely have to seat in. When I did a quick re-ring on mine. It smoked for a good couple hundred miles, but not too bad fortunately. And it got less and less as I piled on the miles. If you didn't, then you can try just running it and see if it clears up, or tear it back down to see if there's a problem.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I didn't check the ring gaps 😕. I need to set up my jetting and I'll take it out for runs. If it doesn't clear I'll go for the tear down again 🫣😅
Thanks for the advice 🙏

Hello all.
I have a problem. I changed the piston rings on my SE (wish i hadn't) and since the change the bike smokes heavily once warmed up. Compression is good. Cylinders were honed to break the glaze. Rings installed stamp side up. New valve seals and valves lapped. I haven't put any miles in to see if the smoke clears as it smokes that bad I don't want to take it on the road. My question is are all SOHC rings the same? My bike is 1980 but the engine number has previously been removed so can't be 100% sure on the year of the engine. Thanks for any help 🙂

Yes end gap is important, on my last top end rebuild, I didn't use any gasket sealer around the timing chain opening in the barrels and head. When warm both sides would smoke. I have had a ring wear out a piston from improper endgap.

Back