Polishing

hardtailed77

Never Finished
Reaction score
I plan to polish the side covers, rocker cover, valve adjustment caps (already finished), the "Yamaha" cover (already finished), the points cover (already finished), and whatever else I can get my fingers to...lol I would love to polish the cylinders and block too, but I have no idea how I would sand and polish in between the fins, so I planned to paint the cylinders and block black. I will polish the outer edges of the fins too.

My question is for the side covers. Mine are painted, as I'm guessing that they all are from the factory. How have you guys that have polished the covers stripped the paint from them? I thought of using aircraft stripper, but I would like some other opinions if they are easier. What do you fellas think?

nitromors for me, same thing really

I'm thinking of polishing the jugs, but painting the head in that metalic black/grey from my local chain store. got a pikkie in my blog. the pipes will be wrapped, so it'll bring the colour down in front of the engine.

I went simple on mine- cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the jugs, polished the side covers, adjuster caps and points cover.

beforebarrels.jpg

barrelsafter.jpg

That looks good Houghmade!

Also guys, what should I use to prep the surface for paint? I've cleaned it, but there was tons of oil and gas on the engine, so I know paint isn't going to stick....

Hey man there is a Metal Polish tube on Mikes xs they swear by, easy, looks good too. and its something around 7.00

That looks good Houghmade!

Also guys, what should I use to prep the surface for paint? I've cleaned it, but there was tons of oil and gas on the engine, so I know paint isn't going to stick....

SHH! don't tell the wife, but I put my cover in the dish wash when she's out.....aherm, what's that dear? nothing....:doh:

where was I?

Oh yes, a bit of acid etching's good (like that alloy wheel cleaner), some peeps use etch primer but the modern case paints specifically don't want you to use that.

I used Tal-Strip II aircraft paint remover. I think it cost about $9.00 a can . The stuff is amazing. Spray it on , wait, spray of the paint with a garden hose.
Just wear protective clothing with this. Heavy rubber gloves , eye protection and coveralls. A pail of water dosn't hurt either. Some how I got a small spec on my cheek and I instantly knew it.:yikes:

I used Tal-Strip II aircraft paint remover. I think it cost about $9.00 a can . The stuff is amazing. Spray it on , wait, spray of the paint with a garden hose.
Just wear protective clothing with this. Heavy rubber gloves , eye protection and coveralls. A pail of water dosn't hurt either. Some how I got a small spec on my cheek and I instantly knew it.:yikes:
That's actually what I picked up and used today, but I bought the brush-on. It worked PERFECT!!!

What didn't I use....Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, Simple Green, Comet, Aluminum Polish. Fish tank brushes helped to get between the fins. The scrubbing cleaned up the jugs to a nice "as cast" look. Lot of wet sanding and then hand polishing for the side covers.

Is everyone pulling the engine to paint, or is it possible to do a decent job with the motor still in? I am considering a touch-up job with everything still attached; I certainly don't expect it to be perfect, but anything is better than what I already have!

Did you replace all of your case screws on both sides? Mine are showing some rust. If so, do you need to lock-tite these screws when they are replaced?

Back