Progressive spring install question

Jay

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you guys that have run Progressive springs in the early bikes (mine is a '77), what did you do about the length difference in the springs. I absolutely do not want to cut the springs, but have concerns that the retaining clip for the fork cap wont retain the cap because of the increased seat pressure against the cap if i just stuff the longer spring in

I am using progressive 11-1109 springs.

OEM springs are 19.01" long
Progressives are 19.75" long

I have pics, but dont remember how to upload them....

I just did my forks on my 78 and I see that the fork cap has a small bevel on the topside of it. This bevel applies more force against the retaining clip (my retaining clips are like large circlips) to insure that it stays in its groove the greater the spring pressure against it. Take a look at your fork caps and you'll see what I'm talking about.

cool man thanks. I was reading some threads last night, and no-one has mentioned having any concerns with the longer spring length, so I'm going to go with them.

BTW- your build is great.

Hi Jay. How did you springs go? Did everything workout? I've been looking for progressive springs myself and can't find any site that lists our bikes as a fit. Did you find the same thing, and just went with the kit anyways? Thanks!

yes thats exactly what i did. I went off some threads from here to get the model number other guys used, and just went with it.

They are a motherf*cker to get in. But they work well. I need help from a friend, I compressed the spring with the cap and he got the clips on. The seat pressure on the clips has to be astronomical but I have had no issues.

Front end does not bottom out for me now, and it runs down the road a bit stiff. But i prefer that feel as to it being sloppy

yes thats exactly what i did. I went off some threads from here to get the model number other guys used, and just went with it.

They are a motherf*cker to get in. But they work well. I need help from a friend, I compressed the spring with the cap and he got the clips on. The seat pressure on the clips has to be astronomical but I have had no issues.

Front end does not bottom out for me now, and it runs down the road a bit stiff. But i prefer that feel as to it being sloppy
Thanks Jay, I got some springs coming in. See how they do. Thanks for your feedback.

Back