Projekt xScrambler

kryst

XS400 Member
Reaction score
:doh:

Hi guys!

Yes, I know I took my time, but here it is. My very first own build-thread! :D
The main idea is to build a scrambler-like every day commuter bike. So it needs to be comfortable enough, even at the sacrifice of (most) off-road abilities. I posted a sketch already of what I want to achieve in some near future, but here it is again, as a reminder :)

IMG_0955.JPG

Some 3 weeks ago I brought the bike finally home. It is a 1981 SE.
As you can see - looks decently, but not all original. For example those exhaust come from "i have no idea what" (cans are custom, and pipes...?), sound great but there is absolutely no lean-angle with them.

IMG_1234.JPG

It had problems to start, when it did - it stalled, spited flames, fluctuated revs and so on. Pretty much not ride-able. I have spent two afternoons on cleaning up the carbs (a bit...), regulating valve clearance, ignition and so on and the result was pretty much satisfying :)

So I started to tear it apart. And I did.
sama_rama.JPG

Since then, aside from HOURS of thinking "How should I do that?", the frame has been sanded (mechanically - there was no rust :yikes:) and cut - it lost the back and passenger footrests.

rama2.JPG

rama3.JPG

The work continues :) I'll keep you guys updated!

Goodies are slowly coming :)
That is a shame, that it will take so long before I can mount them :)

Yes, that is from a '04 RS125 :)

lagi.JPG

Nope :)
I'll have to figure out how to mount a seat (and make a base for it) before painting the frame, so i'll get to it rather sooner then later :)

It has been awhile, since my job let me come back to my XS (the bare frame became a bit ginger here and there..), but i'm at it again :)

I figured out (captain obvious :)) that I have to get all the mounting points I might possibly need to proceed with next bits. So I need something to mount seat, exhausts and turn limiter. Seat sounded most creative so I started there :)

After few attempts to make a seat base out of sheet metal the results were... not as good as I hoped. No tragedy, usable by all means, but it lacked some refinement. So I switched to a different material. Wood.

IMG_1417.JPG

Thin layers of wood, impregnated for water resistance, few days of shaping to match frame curve and gluing altogether with a water resistant glue - and I got a 0.5 inch thick base. It keeps its shape great, no tension whatsoever. One more afternoon to give it a final shape and it will be ready. And hopefully I will still be able to hear...

IMG_1416.JPG

not showing the rest of it - does not yet make me grin :)

Ah, and the exhaust are here. first iteration will see them low mounted, just under footrests.

And yes, these are ebay items. Looks fit the project and quality is acceptable. And it will be loud...

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

Shaping is pretty much done :] The front (where a hole for a screw is) will be cut an inch or two and rounded, but for now I need it to line the seat properly (mounting points still need to be done).

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

Hi!

it has been awhile, but the XS project is still alive :) Not much has happened though. Work killed my free time, personal life killed my will to do anything :)

But - i finally ordered shocks from China, and they came. Hard to say what they are actually worth, but the look the part.

IMG_2198.JPG

The frame came bact from powdercoating (gloss dark blue)
IMG_2203.JPG

Yes, the whole thing will be a combination of dark-blue, red and silver. In my head it looks great :)

And the last thing - i am removing the seam (?) from the triple tree, before it gets painted. Color is still not decided, depends on front suspension (it is now black, but red would suit my taste better).

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thats it for now :)

Back