Removing Gas Tank

lawrenceweiner

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Bought an 82 yamaha xs400j a few months back and have been having chronic problems with the floats in my carb jamming up. I have tons of rust in my tank and I'm thinking things wont improve much until I clean that up. Have read a bunch of info on treating my tank, but I have no idea how to take it off. I can't even figure out how to take my seat off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Download the service manual from the top sticky post of "The Garage" portion of the forum and all should be revealed.

you have a new bike than mine, there is bound to be differences. I have done 2 types of tank conditioning.

http://www.dansmc.com/gastank.htm

from Amazon POR-15 49229 Cycle Tank Repair Kit

There is many options, If you haven't downloaded the supplymental manuals, they were just "rerun" not too long ago.(use rerun, manual) that should find the recent postting.

www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495 re-run free supplemental manual

Last edited:
Hey Lawrence,

Check out some of the videos on electrolytic rust removal. Basically you suspend an annode in the tank, fill it with water mixed with baking soda (for conductivity), get a battery charger and hook ground to the outside of the tank and positive to the annode inside your tank and let it bubble along for a couple of days. Works amazingly well. Rust is removed good steel is left unharmed.

Joe

If you open up the rear compartment by tail lights, there should be two wingnuts on top securing the seat down. Once you remove the seat, you'll see a bolt holding down the tank. Remove bolt and slide back the tank, make sure to remove the vacuum line too its easy to miss.

Depending on how bad the rust is cleaning the tank out might not be good enough.It thins out the metal of the tank which may be prone to leaking soon after you clean it.My 2cents your better off replacing the tank with a clean nonrusted one if you can find one.

Back