Removing Rear Wheel

TheMort

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time trying to get the rear wheel off. Not quite sure what I'm missing and after banging my head against a wall for a few nights, figured I'd post and hope I'm overlooking something simple. I've removed the chain, axle nut, etc, but still can't get the axle to budge.

I've read in a manual that you may have to compress the shocks to remove the rear axle, is that correct?

Please see attached photos showing current state, please let me know if I'm missing anything here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 195
Looks like you got it unscrewed.

Either tap the threaded end with something soft(wood or rubber mallet), or stick a screwdriver in the hole in the knobby end and twist and pull.

Looks like you got it unscrewed.

Either tap the threaded end with something soft(wood or rubber mallet), or stick a screwdriver in the hole in the knobby end and twist and pull.

I've tapped the threaded end so hart, I feel like I'm going to break something. Definitely feels like something is still "stuck". I've doused the opposite side in PB blaster, maybe a heat gun is next, if something is stuck?

Hitting the threaded end too much can peen it and mess up the threads.

If you put a screwdriver into the hole in the mushroom, does the axle turn?

Hitting the threaded end too much can peen it and mess up the threads.

If you put a screwdriver into the hole in the mushroom, does the axle turn?

It does, but not easily, screwdriver + light tap from mallet will get it to turn along with the axle.

Update: A stupid amount of brute force solved this problem. Everything was stuck together. Suggestions for what to lube this up with so it doesn't happen next time?

Lube the axle.

Also, if you had to apply that much force, maybe replace the bearings?

Even good bearings are relatively inexpensive, and it's cheap insurance.

Back