Removing Seized Brake Caliper Piston

fR3ZNO

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Tried out the grease gun trick yesterday to remove my terribly seized caliper piston. Came out like a dream! So much easier than trying to use compressed air, heat, channel locks or whatever!

Here's a quick little video showing what I did! Hope it helps. :):cheers::bike:

Clicky Click

wow never would have thought of that... had that issue with a car a bought a while back and just bought a new refurbished caliper....

thanks internet!

Super handy trick, thanks! I used compressed air on my seized caliper, this would have been a lot quicker and less noisy.

You're welcome! I tried air too, would not budge, kept leaking out past the rubber nipple of the air gun. The grease gun way tends to be less violent than air as well (piston slowly pops out, instead of exploding out haha)

Haha, yeah. I rebuilt the seized caliper with the original piston and it leaked so I ended up having to rebuild it again with a new piston. The second time I went to blast the (no longer seized) piston out with the air gun was pretty dramatic.

I kept my caliper hooked up and pumped the brake lever until the caliper slipped out. Just added a little brake fluid to the master cylinder as I went.

I can confirm that a grease gun got my stuck piston out without a problem :)

Glad to hear this is helping people out!

I kept my caliper hooked up and pumped the brake lever until the caliper slipped out. Just added a little brake fluid to the master cylinder as I went.

That's a good idea too. Hydraulic pressure is a beautiful thing! Unfortunately, when I got the bike, the master cylinder was seized as well from sitting for so long, so that wasn't an option.

I read somewhere that a grease gun is more powerful than a master cylinder, so if you can't pump the piston out you can always try the grease gun

Makes sense. The piston in a grease gun is much bigger than a master cylinder, so I think it would give you more pressure=power.

Back