Replacement Front Brake Master Cylinder

Ramsey Salim

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
1978 XS400, 12K miles
The original front master cylinder was completely seized when I bought it. I did a quick search for a generic replacement ($20) and installed it. I bled the brakes as much as I could, even used a suction pump at the bleed valve to get every tiny bit of air out. The calipers work, but the lever is very spongy and goes all the way down - not a comfortable feeling when riding.
Perhaps I did not get the correct replacement master cylinder? I searched the forums and did see lots of links of recommended replacements for the front master cylinder - unfortunately, most of the links expired.
May someone provide a working or recent link for a replacement front master cylinder I could try for my motorcycle, assuming that it also worked for their motorcycle.
Thanks.

I bought an OEM yam yb125 master. It’s 11mm instead of 14 piston so gives a lot of force on the disc. I didn’t really trust a pattern Chinese brake!
It always a pain to bleed. Just have to keep at it. I think I took off the calliper in the end and clampe it onto an old disc to get the last bit of air out of the nipple.

Back