rewire how to

final piece in the jigsaw in the dark arts of rewiring. the route...

746b3bca.jpg

347154a6.jpg

c3881125.jpg

very helpful info drew thanks for sharing cause i was thinking i might need to do a rewire job myself.

is it normal to have a seperate regulator and rectifier instead of a 1 peice?
can you upgrade to a one piece?

and for the ignition key did you use a 3 switch with off/acc/start?
will a 2 switch key on/off with a momentary starter button work if im running electric start?

thks

is it normal to have a seperate regulator and rectifier instead of a 1 peice?
can you upgrade to a one piece?

and for the ignition key did you use a 3 switch with off/acc/start?
will a 2 switch key on/off with a momentary starter button work if im running electric start?

thks

I used an aftermarket reg/rec in one piece. yamaha upgraded to electronic when technology and manufacturing caught up.
the ignition I used was a simple on/off. no reason you could use a combined mom/ignition switch

hey drewpy,

I'm starting on my own cafe racer project using an xs400. Where did you get those switches you have on the bars with the heatshrink wrap?

Thanks

Maplins, just some cheapo ones 60p each. they really need to be a bit more beefier though and gloved mitts are a bit rough on them.

I have to use a relay as they are only .08 amp rated. there are some micro switches on ebay sometimes that fit on the handle bars. you'd have to push the wires through the bars though!

Thanks man, I'll see what I can find.

I'm pumped for this project, though I must say, you've set the bar high with your tracker. I'll start a thread for my project, I'm just hoping it turns out even half as sick as yours.

Thanks man, I'll see what I can find.

I'm pumped for this project, though I must say, you've set the bar high with your tracker. I'll start a thread for my project, I'm just hoping it turns out even half as sick as yours.

cheers thanks for the kind comments, keep yer eye out on the Horse BC as it might be in there next month!

Drewpy,

Great work on the wiring. I have a 1980 and I have just gotten the idea that I should redo the wiring. I am tearing the bike completely, getting the frame painted and then put back all together. My plan is that I want to leave this bike as close to stock as possible.

My question to you is on your post #22. Where did you find these drawings? I want to get a copy of this. Can you share what manual they came out from? I want to keep a good reference library for this bike. You never know when I might find another bike to rebuilt later on...

Thanks.

So what exactly do I search ebay for? Yamaha factory service manual? I want to get the right item. Thanks for the responses.

Cheers!

Try to find one for your specific model because they are not all the same.

Back