1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

rewire how to

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drewpy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

final piece in the jigsaw in the dark arts of rewiring. the route...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cmoore352010

cmoore352010 XS400 Enthusiast

very helpful info drew thanks for sharing cause i was thinking i might need to do a rewire job myself.

3. eric123

eric123 XS400 Addict

One of the best wiring threads I have ever seen...

4. Pork Chop

Pork Chop XS400 Junkie

G'day Drewpy - more nice work. I think a lot of people will find this very useful. Is it possible to post wire sizes.

Cheers.

5. drewpy

err...............no!

you can work them out for yourself using the formula mentioned in the text:D

6. Pork Chop

Pork Chop XS400 Junkie

Sorry Drewpy, Whisky gives me a short term memory - now, where was I...

:laugh:

7. drewpy

you were about to paypal me a few thousand dollars...:thumbsup:

8. FUBAR

FUBAR XS400 Addict

is it normal to have a seperate regulator and rectifier instead of a 1 peice?
    can you upgrade to a one piece?

and for the ignition key did you use a 3 switch with off/acc/start?
    will a 2 switch key on/off with a momentary starter button work if im running electric start?

thks

9. drewpy

I used an aftermarket reg/rec in one piece. yamaha upgraded to electronic when technology and manufacturing caught up.
    the ignition I used was a simple on/off. no reason you could use a combined mom/ignition switch

10. FUBAR

FUBAR XS400 Addict

any ebay links to one of these aftermarket reg/recs you speak of ? tanks

11. motor1234

motor1234 XS400 Member

hey drewpy,

I'm starting on my own cafe racer project using an xs400. Where did you get those switches you have on the bars with the heatshrink wrap?

Thanks

12. drewpy

Maplins, just some cheapo ones 60p each. they really need to be a bit more beefier though and gloved mitts are a bit rough on them.

I have to use a relay as they are only .08 amp rated. there are some micro switches on ebay sometimes that fit on the handle bars. you'd have to push the wires through the bars though!

13. motor1234

motor1234 XS400 Member

Thanks man, I'll see what I can find.

I'm pumped for this project, though I must say, you've set the bar high with your tracker. I'll start a thread for my project, I'm just hoping it turns out even half as sick as yours.

14. drewpy

cheers thanks for the kind comments, keep yer eye out on the Horse BC as it might be in there next month!

15. Flexeril

Flexeril XS400 Addict

Drewpy,

Great work on the wiring. I have a 1980 and I have just gotten the idea that I should redo the wiring. I am tearing the bike completely, getting the frame painted and then put back all together. My plan is that I want to leave this bike as close to stock as possible.

My question to you is on your post #22. Where did you find these drawings? I want to get a copy of this. Can you share what manual they came out from? I want to keep a good reference library for this bike. You never know when I might find another bike to rebuilt later on...

Thanks.

16. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

It looks like it came from a factory shop manual.

17. drewpy

yep it sure did come from the official yam manual. I still see them on ebay.

18. Flexeril

Flexeril XS400 Addict

So what exactly do I search ebay for? Yamaha factory service manual? I want to get the right item. Thanks for the responses.

Cheers!

19. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Try to find one for your specific model because they are not all the same.