rewire how to

well i got one that's for the H and SH model, but it has supplements for all the models. cat # LIT-11616-XS-42

Interesting...I found one but the last digits are 41 instead of 42. All it says is 1976-80 Yamaha XS360 XS400 Service Manual.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Great wiring job....!

I noticed you moved your coils lower, was this for tank fitting?

Stevo

it was part of the design, I liked the triumphs with coils mounted in that spot and I also need as much fuel in the tank as possible with the master cylinder mounted in there.

Your design is a thing of beauty, I think that is a great plan to place a piece of mounting steel under the seat bars, I am now looking at doing the same thing.... before i do is there anything i should consider with closing off that area....I am supposing you welded that plate on so its not removable....any considerations I should know appreciated?

Thanks,
Stevo

and just in case post was ambiguous, i am referring to the wiring scope of work and mounting plate for it, great!

another question on that note... i traced out the cut for a mounting plate, slight angle to it as it follows the bars, do you think that can be cut with a skilsaw and metal cutting blade or would angle cutter be better? I am thinking of like 16 gauge steel.

Thanks,
Stevo

the mounting plate is ally diamond plate and i used a skill saw around a traced template.
I welded little brackets with captive nuts on them in 6 places to hold the plate and the curves that are in there.

If you are refering to the rearmost plate. that is stainless steel and I made a template in cardboard and gave to to my friend at Proctor and gamble who got the fab place to cut and bend it for me. I welded it in using special arc rods for stainless and carbon steel.

Drewpy. Do you know if the factory colors are the same on an 1981 SR185 ? This chopper has the original harness but half the stuff is not connected. I jumped the solenoid and it did spin over but no spark at the plug yet.[/IMG]

Drewpy. Do you know if the factory colors are the same on an 1981 SR185 ? This chopper has the original harness but half the stuff is not connected. I jumped the solenoid and it did spin over but no spark at the plug yet.

sorry I have no idea, yam wire colours are universal though

Question for you Drewpy, I like your under-seat plate for your wiring, I will be putting battery and starter relay in faux oil tank, and was going to mount the other electrical pieces, relays, etc...on seat plate, but do they fit under seat..... they are like around 1" max in hieght...or do i need to mount them under rear of seat scowl or rise?

Thanks,
Stevo

I figured it out. For some reason, until today, your color chart was too distorted to read. Red and brown is what I was after. Now I'm onto the carb issue. I made a video of me addressing it. Now thinking about it, maybe my float is set too high. Thanks for the help.
I found the wiring answers on bikebreed.com

Question for you Drewpy, I like your under-seat plate for your wiring, I will be putting battery and starter relay in faux oil tank, and was going to mount the other electrical pieces, relays, etc...on seat plate, but do they fit under seat..... they are like around 1" max in hieght...or do i need to mount them under rear of seat scowl or rise?

Thanks,
Stevo

it may just fit, my relays are in the tail section with the battery. Its a case of dry building it with your chosen seat base and use plasticine to gauge height. the reg/rec is 1/2 in the seat area and 1/2 out in the wind.

done 600 miles in it and absolutely no issues

I figured it out. For some reason, until today, your color chart was too distorted to read. Red and brown is what I was after. Now I'm onto the carb issue. I made a video of me addressing it. Now thinking about it, maybe my float is set too high. Thanks for the help.
I found the wiring answers on bikebreed.com

OK, glad your fixed :thumbsup:

Whats up everyone. i just registerd a couple days ago and i've been reading all the great threads. I'm loving it. The Drewpy tracker now has a home as the wallpaper on my computer that shits sick love the clutch window i was already looking at port hols on ebay.:hijack:

Whats up everyone. i just registerd a couple days ago and i've been reading all the great threads. I'm loving it. The Drewpy tracker now has a home as the wallpaper on my computer that shits sick love the clutch window i was already looking at port hols on ebay.:hijack:

pirates on the fo'c'sle :laugh:

welcome to the site.

Hey drewpy, I figured if anyone knows you would. I am building a harness, and I dont want to use a safety/neutral relay. Do you know how to eliminate the relay? Is it as simple as cutting out the relay and splicing the wires? one comes form the ignition power loop and the other one connects to the starter solenoid. It makes sense that splicing them would do the trick, but Im just not 100% sure, and I dont want to have to undo shrink wrap later.

I figured out that the kickstand relay can be eliminated by simply unplugging the black/white wire from the ignition. Did you use relays on your harness?

Back