Safety relay question

AmbientMoto

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Slowly going through our 1981 (XS400H) project; we're coming into electrical things now, which I actually enjoy. Bike is in stock form as far as the electrics go. For now; we are going to simplify a few things and replace the aging/crumbling relays and connectors. We've tested everything and all of the components are functioning as they should.

Looking at the wiring schematic, at the "safety relay"... The ground for the relay comes directly from/through the clutch switch, and the trigger comes from the neutral switch.

Am I wrong then to think the bike must be in neutral AND the clutch pulled to start the bike?

Thanks!

The starter will energize only when the transmission is in neutral (sensed by the neutral switch) OR the clutch lever is pulled in (sensed by the switch at the lever.) The ground also is provided by the neutral switch. There is a nice description and specific diagram of the circuit in the XS400H/XS400SH supplement that is part of the factory service manual which also shows the interior circuit of the safety relay.

@CaptChrome thanks! I was hoping that was the case. You are correct; it's in the opening pages of the supplementary manual. Honestly I might not have realized had I seen it as, on the diagram, the clutch switch is labeled "starting circuit cut-off switch".

@AmbientMoto - that's the switch! I have actually printed the manual off and on my paper copy wrote "Clutch Switch" just so I don't have to figure it out at some later date with the remaining two brain cells that still spark together correctly. It is kind of fun piecing the electrical puzzle together though.

Been there. My wiring diagrams typically have all manner of notes, reminders, and sketches of future circuit mods/additions etc.

The help was much appreciated.

Back