School Cafe Racer Project

Tom WCC

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently in year 10 completing a new automotive subject where we have been given a budget and 2 terms to restore and build a cafe racer style bike. This is all relatively new to me so I have a lot to learn but big ambitions and goals to build a sweet bike. I'm not even sure if I will be able to finish any of this in the time allocated or have the skill to, that is why I have come here. I have spent hours reading other peoples build threads but haven't found one with similar intentions as me. As you can see in the picture below I have picked up a 1994 xs400, after further research I believe it might actually be a 1980s xs400 seca or dohc. It's in rough shape at the moment but I think I can make it work. I have also attached a very rough photoshop of what I hope it will look like when its finished but have no concrete plans yet.
If there are any suggestions, ideas or details anyone can help me with to make this easier it would be greatly appreciated because I really have no idea where to start. I will also update this thread as I make progress on the bike.
IMG_4814.jpg
photoshopped ver.PNG

Yeah, it looks like a 1982-ish Seca 400. Very different from the XS400's it replaced. Some engine components are similar, but the rest of the bike is completely different.
My advice would be to make sure it has compression, clean the carbs, clean and gap the plugs, you can always put in new ones later, and see if she'll start. If you've got a runner, start researching what other bikes parts fit, with or without some modifications, and start mocking things up.
Good luck! Remember, with time, patience, and google, nothing is impossible.
Sounds like a pretty neat school program. Wish they would have had this back when I was in High School.

Problems with the DOHC bikes is finding a tank to fit the backbone of the frame. Also the bike is missing a few parts so hopefully you got the upper motor mounts with it.... I would not start it unless you have them in place.....

Back