so... was offered a trade is it worth it?

volcomskater77

XS400 Chopophile
Top Contributor
Reaction score
might be the wrong place. but this gets the most traffic.

so i posted my mustang on craigslist. and got a couple calls with offers for trades.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/2945548115.html
for reference ^
the list includes:
:kill: 89 F-150 302
:confused:92 F-250 460
but i dont need a truck.

then i got a call about this,
image.jpg

82 GS550 "cafe" straight up trade. front brake parts go with it. current title and registration. he says it runs and starts fine, but the carbs bog down. i fear my 400 wont be done before the end of summer, again, so i just wanna ride. and i need something to take my m-class with that isnt a hardtail with a 3 inch stretch. i guess my question is: is it a $1700 bike? i have $1000 in the mustang through some labor trading. hes looking for a mustang, and i want a bike to ride, but dammit DOHCs are ugly. lol so watcha guys think?

i posted this on chopcult first. and here's their take on it
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18821

just thought i would toss it up here and see wat yall think

No love for the DOHCs.

That's a good looking bike. Looks like stock intake and mild exhaust - if it's bogging, there's either dirty carbs or bad jetting.

If it ran perfectly, it would be a good deal at $1700 in my market (Greater Toronto area.) It doesn't, so I'd ask for cash as well (like $500 - if you don't like the DOHC anyway, go higher.)

haha and you guys know how much i hate carb work.
just needs an o ring kit i guess.
and im just gonna play like the carbs are the worst thing in the world. i wanna do the trade cuz i wanna ride, and probably just park my truck during summer and ride all the time. ill have 2 to choose from :D

Having to sync a bike with four carbs is not fun! Just keep that in mind:wink2:

I found it quite easy with the dial guages.

I did my friend's cb750, but you need to rig up a separate fuel supply as it takes a bit longer to do

Two more pistons, two more carbs, two more sets of valves and twice the pain:laugh:

Go for it! The 550 is gonna be a might bossier than the xs and if you plan on riding a lot you may not want to do it all on yer hardtail... Plus, you'll have a chop and a cafe, Im jealous already. :thumbsup:

I would want to get $250 and the bike. That way, I could but a quad set of dial gauges and a aux. tank for sync-ing the carbs. But if your hearts in it and you are tired of looking at the 'stang, just go for it.

he's coming from WI and im in chicagos south suburbs, so thats a haul for him. and no he says the stains are gas from the carbs flooding. goin to take pics of the stang today, so im deff leaning towards getting the 550. ;) and yeah i now go to the chiropractor twice a week, so riding around on a rigid all summer is probably taking a step backwards. lol

Back