Start, idles, but still having issue

BDxs400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have myself an 82 xs400 Seca, i have 2 of them, been piecing them together to make one beautiful Seca... anywho finally got it to start and run and idle yaayy, but last time i rode it for 1.5 miles it started to bog down and when i start to move it seems to loose all power and shut off only staying on cause im in gear and moving. Then gas dumps out of the air box, i mean like a solid 2 cups of gas. Ive been doing some research and i came up with a few possible fixes. Last night i readjusted the floats put in the new float seals( needle and brass piece) changed the jets to the size that came with this motorcycle (120 and 120, not original spec but the bike did run at one point) sprayed the piss out of them with carb cleaner. put back into the bike starts up runs revs great but wasnt able to ride it to see if that were to happen again ( no front brake yet, parts on their way) but i was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to what might be happening. petcock seems to functioning properly these carbs and tank are from my older running seca. Possibly im having a misfire in one cylinder cause it seems that gas was only coming out of one carb (just stting in there as if it didnt burn, not in float but in air chamber) when i pulled them off and was a little dirty in that one carb (left side) any suggestions or ideas will be great.
I know im probably forgetting some info so ask away i did take a few pics but short on time to post right now but if you guys need some let me know.

thanks ahead of time XS400

The DOHC models came with different jets on each side due to airbox restrictions.
The only thing that will allow gas to come out of the airbox would be the float needle sticking or that they aren't responding. my suggestion would be to pull out your floats and look for any small pinholes. If they get filled with fluid, they won't stay buoyant and will mess with your settings.

the floats seemed to be fine and if im not mistaken they seem as if they are full foam not a plastic cup, im probably wrong but thats the way it seems to me. i didnt notice any holes and i looked pretty good didnt test them in water or anything like that though.

Back