Steering head stem

bigdog

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been stripping the steering head to check, and if necessary replace, the upper and lower bearings. Everything came apart fairly easily except the lower yoke (triple tree). It's off the frame but I can't see how to separate it from the stem. I want to paint it so ideally it needs to come apart. No mention of this in the Haynes manual. Advice please?
Also the the lower bearing cone, in which the ball bearings normally sit, and the dust seal below it, are reluctant to move. I'm assuming they should slide up and off the stem. Is that right and do I prise them off with something?
Finally, I'm having trouble getting the swing arm pivot shaft out. Obviously the nut and tab washer are off, it's been sprayed copiously with penetrating fluid and I can't see anything else in the way, so before I take a sledge hammer to it is there anything I've missed? Cheers guys.

Great, thanks for that. What about the lower bearing cone & dust seal..they just slide up and off? And the swing arm shaft? The swing arm is moving fine but the shaft won't budge.

Last edited:
Back