Stock airbox install

gord_hynes

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So...

bought my 82 with K&N pods on it... I'm more of a 'keep it stock' guy - and want to put the stock airbox back on - how best approach this? I think I read somewhere that I have to pivot the engine to make it happen... is that the case?

Do you have the stock air box? You'll probably have to re-jet if you revert back.

No motorcycle, car, bus, train, or weed whacker requires the engine to be moved in order to access the air filter.

well that's what I thought - and have experienced with others... but I can't figure it out - both sides are limited in space to get it in, the top is nowhere near big enough...

ugh.

oh, and I don't think the previous guy jetted to begin with... it ran so badly with them on I can only guess that the carbs are completely screwed up right now...

Maybe you could take a picture? Air filters are supposed to be serviced frequently; I can't believe the engine would have to be moved for such a task; that's silly.

It's not the filter he's talking about. He's talking about the airbox itself. I think you will have to pivot the engine to do that. I can't say that from actual experience, but I see no way on mine that you'd ever get the airbox in or out without moving the engine. The air filter is just three screws and a retaining clip, nothing to it, the actual airbox itself, in theory should never need to be removed, unless you wanted to run pods.

Damn, that's the answer I wasn't looking for. Ok - that said, I think I saw 3 bolts attaching the engine to the frame - one at the bottom, and two along top, beneath the tank... I'm going to make an assumption that I'll need to take those top two out to pivot the engine.

Oh what a morning I have coming.

Yea, also no experience with removal/placement of the air box here, but I also wouldn't know how on earth to get it in or out without either cutting it in half or tilting the engine.

Good luck!

It is possible you'll have to pivot the engine, but the DOHC motor is super easy to remove; I thought there were only a few bolts holding it in place.

We have a DOHC manual for download in the sticky post in this forum as well.

Well I have sohc 400.I modded my battery box so I can remove it from the top.My airboxes are simple to remove or reinstall.I did one thing to them to improve airflow and thats cut the ends off so I can get better air flow and jetted accordingly.

ok... I'll attach pictures tomorrow morning (kids need to go to bed), but I've pivoted the engine almost 90 degrees forward (carbs point almost up), and now there's room to get the airbox in there, but the frame seems to be preventing it. crap. Anyone out there done this?

Use this:

CHF40.V2.jpg

If it came out in one piece, it can be put back in one piece, I would say. Sometimes parts need some convincing when they say they can't fit.

I am not certain, but I believe that the air box is installed from the back on the DOHC bikes. So the swing arm and the plastic fender liner would have to be removed. Which would also require the seat and gas tank to be removed.

At this point Gord, since you almost have the engine out, you might as well do a complete restoration! :)

Back