TCI DEAD TID-12-07

Newbietci

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
My 1983 XS400J MAXIM is not firing and mechanic says it needs a tci. TID12-07 does anyone know a way to sort one or is there a modern affordable way round it.
Thanks in advance Andrew

http://www.xs400.com/threads/yamaha-xs400-manuals.4503/

Go to post #3 and the attached files and download section 6 electrical. Then go to page 6-17 of it and the ignition system.

You need to check the magnetic impulse pickups that read the crank, one bad can do it with the box still being good. I check them using a simple older needle type analog voltmeter, it can read the impulses sent to fire the box.

The kill switch can kill both power to the box and the coils if it is bad. You need a good ground on the box too.

Last edited:
The dohc boxes can be harder to find than the sohc ones. I still see used ones on ebay. That's if the pickups are fine but I would guess your mechanic has already checked them. That's why you need the box. I know that the solder points can get loose and can cause an issue. Maybe look into those.

The dohc boxes can be harder to find than the sohc ones. I still see used ones on ebay. That's if the pickups are fine but I would guess your mechanic has already checked them. That's why you need the box. I know that the solder points can get loose and can cause an issue. Maybe look into those.
They do look poor and corroded so I might have A go it costs nothing eh. Does anyone know of a new replacement part available anywhere

Some of the caps and resistors inside are cheap and easy to find anywhere electronic parts are sold. You may have better luck taking it to a place that fixes computers or electronics and have them take a look.

I replaced mine on DOHC Hondas with GM HEI and made custom boxes to cover them up, at the time the units were $25 each and I had to have two. The OEM part could be bought new at the time but @ $190 each.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SOHC and DOHC part can interchange, provided the pickups work (Hall/no Hall) and ohm the same and one can figure out a likely wiring color change to stop switching them out. The units should work the same other than the built in auto-retard all electronic ignitions have due to timing changes @ speed. The mounting would likely change.

Last edited:
I'd love to get the Honda DOHC programmable box they make but the intricacies of international mail get in the way..........

I'd love to get the Honda DOHC programmable box they make but the intricacies of international mail get in the way..........

Not a lot of intricacy there.

I live in Minnesota. The only intricacy was that shipping cost something like 40 bucks on a $100 product. Took about a week to get it, before the plague.

They speak English (or at least write it in emails) well enough.

Oddly enough I had something come ebay from Jersey? Island, the island right next to France on the channel and it shipped and arrived in 3 days and zero freight cost. Very odd. All the way to Texas, it looked like it had been in a fight though.

Found this thread by accident; late, but perhaps not too late, here I go:

The IgniTech parts are quite good. Got TCIs for the XS400DOCH and CDIs for my Honda CX500Cs from them.
My TCI for 2-Cylinder bikes is pre-programmed and may be used for both the 27HP and 45HP DOHC models.
When I replaced the '12-07' as well as the '12-08' originals, both engines worked well with the same IgniTech box.
No idea, why there seemed to be no difference...

If one is able and willing to make the change from a pre-programmed TCI to a free programmable CDI from IgniTech, the complete set including ignition coils, pickups and box would make the most sense.

Only: however one picks the TCI or the CDI, the minimum cost is now roundabout 180 'plus' :-o
Cheaper than the originals, but still not what we would name 'low cost' :-(

When I searched for new solutions, I found all what I needed at aliexpress !

Here is an example for an alternative, coming close to the characteristics of the original:
Motorcycle Digital Ignition CDI Unit For Suzuki GSX400 GSX 400 S katana 92 93 RF400 RF 400 R GK78A 93 96 Stable Output Igniter|Motorbike Ingition| - AliExpress .

Alternatives start at roundabout 37 bucks, worth to be checked out, isn't it?

Pickups, if defective, might be replaced through a very cheap alternative with infrared; 2 pickups for 1.80 ;-)
If you check out aliexpress, you will find all you need, at least after a while...
Today, I checked aliexpress for carburetors, because I got probs with both, my Keihins for the Hondas and my Mikunis for the XS400SE and 12E/16M.
I found alternatives which are cheaper, including the shipping costs, than the cleaning of the old ones alone!

However, if aliexpress (or just: the chinese sources, for political correctness or whatever reason) is not the right source for you, IgniTech might be the right choice. At least here we are 2 people who would recommend that ;-)

Good luck !
Regards from Germany :)

Back