The adventure of a first bike and the young guy that owns it

Thank you so much xschris this bike would probably never run without your help.

Do I need four total of the butterfly seals (two per carb)? Or just two total (one per carb)?

My friend must have thought they were the idle mixture screw when he told me to back them out. The air screws are not seated on my carbs right now. Could that be causing some of these issues?

Yes. If the air jets are loose it will not run right.

Alright I seated the air jets (the lean side was much further out than the other) and seals are on their way... The battery was reading 12.08 on the multimeter. So charged it started the bike up and tested the charging system... Nothing. When I revved the engine over 2k the meter would jump around between 10-12 but certainly not 14+... I took a small feeler gauge and put it next to the alternator cover and switched the key on. It bent toward the cover... I wouldn't say it slapped it but it was definitely showing significant magnetism (the battery was at 12.3 when I did that. But after that I am completely stumped I've replaced the alternator in 2 ford rangers and a bmw e30 (as a side note every vehicle I have ever owned has charging issues almost as soon as I get it) but that is the extent of my electrical experience. I've searched the forums and found that people often find the problem in the rectifier or regulator... But I have no idea what those are or how to test them. I've read about testing wires but I'm not sure where the "3 white wires" are. I've read drewpys rewire thread but I think it was a little over my head and I can't find drewcifiers thread. Anyone know of a good how to with pictures or a video? I've also read that the problem is frequently dirty wires and connections... How do you clean them?

I've also read that the starter could be bad (though unlikely) is this the same starter that can be nixed for kick only? I wouldn't mind going kick only I honestly only ever use the kick anyways.

Any help in this mysterious field of electrics would be extremely appreciated.

After getting over the initial fear of the electric system I bought a multi meter and watched about 50 YouTube videos and read everything I could find on this site (still could not find drewcifiers write up) I cleaned the battery contacts and grounds then got to testing...

Rectifier passed... Alternator passed (I think as long as I did the test right)... Voltage regulator failed (I think?)... The PO did a beautiful rewire that may have something to do with this issue which I will be replacing with a proper fuse box (how many fuse spots should I get 4 or 6?)... I really wish he had kept the wires color coded the fuse holders have little engravings that say "mane, ing, hl, sig" here's a picture...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 235
Oh yeah I will be replacing the voltage regulator with bwd r296 and the pt173 pigtails as per the helpful threads on this subject. This will be my first attempt at soldering so we will see how that goes...

Chapter II: mods

The bike is finally running correctly. I'm going to ride it like this for a while and then start cafe style mods. Thanks for all the help getting this bike back on the road where it belongs!

:bike:

Replaced old carb screws with stainless socket cap and painted a couple parts with rustoleum automotive high heat. A little paint flaked of when I put the screws in but overall I'm pretty happy with the turnout. Also replaced the float assemblies.

image.jpg

Of course I didn't :banghead:
I do have new seals to replace the old ones. I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows of a good how to for this; or is it pretty straight forward?

Pretty straight forward. Just make sure to use a exact fit screw driver for the butterfly valve plate and go slow.

Back