The greasey fingers build :)

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The greasey fingers build

Finally decided to make a build thread. I didn't want to make one until I was ready to start the mods and custom stuff. First just wanted to get her roadworthy and registered and have done that. I'm in no rush and have been taking my time on this, anyway I hope this thread motivates me to get a move on and get some good ideas from you guys. Here's some pics, first two are of how she looked when I got her and the rest are how she is now....roadworthy, reliable and rideable :bike: Now for the fun stuff to start customizing and make it look the way I want :D

Attachments

• 20111023_005.jpg
    20111023_005.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 570
  • 20111023_004.jpg
    20111023_004.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC03825.jpg
    DSC03825.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC03828.jpg
    DSC03828.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC03829.jpg
    DSC03829.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC03830.jpg
    DSC03830.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC03832.jpg
    DSC03832.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC03831.jpg
    DSC03831.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Thanks chris wish me luck! And whilst I dont know exactly what im gonna be doing, I do know the seat has to go lol :) Also the indicators,grab rail, rear frame, guages/cluster, tail light, rear fender is all going (to be replaced with cool stuff he hehe). I have a vague idea of the look I want, some old school british bike vibe. Maybe somewhere in between a cafe racer and a brat bike?

Great looking bike! I like the wheels without paint. Everyone paints them black it seems, i say keep 'em that way! Wish mine had looked this good befire i started mods.... don't have the patience though :)

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, the raw metal wheels match the engine color. It doesn't look bad at all.

Are the mirrors Halcyon? Nice work so far! I'm at the same point as you. Just started a build thread but have no ideas set in stone for my build. I'm also going to be using the media blasted aluminum parts, as you are.

Is that seat shaved down? Mine doesn't have such a drastic dip where the driver sits

Digging the wheels too

How's using the clubmans with the mid-controls instead of rearsets? And did you use stock length cables rerouted or order short ones?

cheers guys! esmith the mirrors are an old Taiwanese brand called 'velo sport' I found this NOS pair for $18 on fleabay so I snapped them up and it was local pick up too so they were nice and cheap, I think they are called continental style mirrors or something.

njcafe the seat may have been shaved not sure that's what was on the bike, its really ugly hey lol. The clubmans have been a bit hard on the wrists so far but ill keep using them and see if I get used to them. For the wheels I just hit them with spray on paint stripper then sent them off to get vapour blasted. I have the stock cables on there, with a little rerouting you can get them to work with the clubmans.

Last edited:
Greasy fingers..How do those pipes do when cornering, do they touch the pavement? I have a set like that and was going to mount them at an upward angle...If they don't touch the way you have them, I'll try your way....The bike sure looks good compared to when you started. Be watching your progress, have fun...Spad

Hi spad, don't worry there's no way you will be cornering low enough to scrape the pipes if you mount them there. Upswept would be cool but you would have to loose the option of pillion pegs.

Checked out those seats pork chop they are AWSOME :D But look a tad too expensive for me...oh well. Ill just settle for the west eagle seat I bought over a year ago.

Little bit of progress, im converting to wire wheels :D Got the front one on today with no issues....Loving the old school look it gives the bike!

Attachments

• DSC04052.jpg
    DSC04052.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC04053.jpg
    DSC04053.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC04058.jpg
    DSC04058.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 492
Now I just have to convert to a rear drum on the back. I don't have a drum brake swingarm, but I do have a spare disc brake swingarm. Im gonna try just cut off all the disc brake mounts and associated tabs, then have my mate weld on a tab underneath to mount the stabiliser bar onto.

What you guys think, anyone converted a disc brake swingarm to a drum brake swingarm? Should be pretty straight forward I guess :shrug:

Attachments

• DSC04055.jpg
    DSC04055.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 419
All you need to do is weld that tab on the under side for the brace that holds the rear drum from rotating. Perhaps cut off all the other unnecessary bits and fill the holes if there are any.

If you have a friend that can weld it's the best solution and a simple job! You're on the right path. You don't want a ghetto rigged swing-arm with some home made contraption clamped on to act as a brace :laugh:

Don't worry they wont go to waste I have another future project they will go onto :) I just want the wire wheels on this one because its more the look I want for it.

Back