1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

upgrade charging system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madpressdog, Jan 15, 2011.

1. anthony nunes

anthony nunes XS400 Member

2. anthony nunes

anthony nunes XS400 Member

I dont know what a capacitor is and what you mean by replacing it instead of the battery
    ant
    ps trying to learn the electrics xs400 style lol

3. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

This is all non-stock and few have actually made it work.
    I don't mean to be negative but if you don't know what a capacitor is you should not be attempting this.

Team junk, Robsteeler66 and Petew like this.
  4. jvdavidson

jvdavidson '78 XS400-2E

Hey Drewpy, I installed a solid state reg in my '78 XS400-2E - any idea if this negates both the regulator and rectifier? I still have the rectifier connected - if I had no issues with the bike, I'd pay no mind to it, however, I'm having a nightmare with performance at the moment and trying to figure out what's wrong so I can enjoy the bike before winter sets in.

The bike idles beautifully and I can start it from dead cold on one kick, however, once I try opening the throttle above a certain point, it all goes to pot with sputtering galore. I used the clear tube method of setting both floats so the fuel level is right in the middle of the bowl rim (which I believe is correct), and both carbs are balanced with a gauge style manometer, however, at idle, there's virtually no vacuum at all. I checked for leaks with a spray can of starter fluid and nothing comes up. I've got the Pamco ignition setup and I had adjusted the valves not long before I paused this project back in 2016/2017. I'll probably try putzting with the valves this weekend but I highly doubt there's any issue - I certainly don't hear any valve tapping, I'll also clean the plugs and check the gap but, again, I have significant doubts that that's the culprit. I tried making a dedicated post on my issues but three days in and there's no activity whatsoever.

Cheers,

- J

5. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

i'd do a compression check first, get a base line figure.also check valve timing too

6. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Do need a regulator and rectifier.
    If your unit did both it would have connected to the wires that go to the stock rectifier.

7. jvdavidson

jvdavidson '78 XS400-2E

Well my compression gauge is at my parent's home so I won't be down to grab that until the following weekend...but my leg says it has all the compression it had before I paused the project back in 2016/2017. Back then, it ran phenomenally well - just didn't charge the battery at idle because I had the original mechanical regulator plus that trickled into lighting issues (weak tail lights/brake lights). All of those problems are now solved with new lights all around and a new regulator...so the performance should not otherwise be changed from a few years ago. Do you know where I can find instructions for the Pamco ignition setup? I likely tossed mine a few years back after installing it - there's no reason why it should go out of timing but it's something to check off the list.

Thanks for your follow-up,

- James

8. jvdavidson

jvdavidson '78 XS400-2E

That's what I assumed...so I left my rectifier attached...

BBS360 likes this.
  9. madpressdog

madpressdog XS400 Member

Recap. The banshee system works great found some pics of the 2nd one i did.

Attached Files:

BambinoFan and drewpy like this.