Using '80S ignitor in "82XJ Maxim

Cal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the ignitor unit from a '80S Special (#TID 12-02 3F9-10) I picked up can be used as a working spare for my '82XJ Maxim (has a potted unit #TID 12-07 12R-10) with the only modification being to replace the one free-hanging 8 position AMP FASTON pin-housing with properly wired same style 1-4 position and 1-6 position connectors? I can't find a schematic for either unit but I could trace out the '80 unit by ringing out it's circuit board. Wire-to-wire comparisons of resistance between the two units with my VOM seem fairly close except that the '80 unit shorts the black and black/white wires together on the circuit board's ground trace.

The one is for a SOHC bike and the other is DOHC. They are totally different bikes. The components in your Dohc bike can be checked or replaced if you know someone with computer board circuit skills. We had a guy on the forum years ago that was able to do this with a SOHC box.

Thanks so much for your help. I just bought the bike and didn't do enough of my homework. Part of my confusion was all of the wire diagrams I could find show a single connector for the ignitor (not two, like my bike has), they have no side-stand circuitry and some of the wire colors are also different then on my bike. If you could point me in the right direction on these other issues I would greatly appreciate it

If you need a maxim TCI I have one laying around................ have a extra harness and TCI............

That would be just great! I'm new to this site, so what do I have to do to accept your offer?

Back