Vroom's 79 Build Thread- scrambler/brat?

Check the label on the Rotella jug/bottle. My jug of Rotella T 15W-40 clearly states "JASO DH-2" and "JASO MA" approvals in addition to all the diesel ones. :thumbsup: I noticed that my clutch stopped chattering and grabbing shortly after changing from Castrol 4-stroke 10W-40 motorcycle oil that I had been using. I can now slip the clutch smoothly, and shifting is smoother. :bike:

Dave

About how much does this stuff cost?

I didn't think so, especially when compared to Castrol Grand Prix 4 Stroke 10W40 at $5+ per Litre... And the improved clutch feel and shifting make it worth it to me!

Dave

Thanks Chris, I'm going to be getting into the battery and seat in the next week or so.

-The shocks are from mikesxs... they are listed for the 650, but are universal.
-The tires are Duros I think. I'll have to double check on the spelling, but they came on the bike. I'll be switching over to dual-sports once these wear a bit more.

Sorry for the delayed responses. Just got back from a ski trip in Breckenridge :thumbsup:

Finally had a chance to get some work done on the XS and take a ride! :D

I chopped the rear of the frame and also my rear fender! Decided to use the oem rear fender to make my own "duck tail" style rear fender. Was a total pain in the arse to get the fitment right, but I think it came out rather good. I also installed a new tail light and tightened the slack in the chain created by putting in taller rear shocks. I had to move the left rear pipe, and wow! That was such a pain. I don't know who designed that mounting system, but it was retarded how the bolts just spun in place...:banghead: took forever to get it back on.

Didnt get a chance to snap pics while doing it:doh:

But current progress pic coming soon!

Took her out on I-95 last night after bolting everything together. She was more than comfortable at 85mph and felt like it still had something left. I just cruised at 70-75mph tho, to keep the revs low. Considering a +1 front sprocket, but dont want to loose too much on the bottom...:shrug:

I also picked up some new headlight brackets and fork gaitors. Im planing on putting new oil in the forks when installing those too:thumbsup:

Pictures! :laugh:

Quick mock ups...
20130126_142739.jpg

20130126_142823.jpg

I had the battery box out to do some measurements. I built a battery box but more on that later...:D

How she currently sits...
20130130_184051.jpg

20130130_184202.jpg

20130130_184112.jpg

20130130_184124.jpg

Seat and front end rebuild come next:thumbsup:

Sadly I have barely had any time to keep things moving with the xs... and I may not at all over the next week or two:( but im really glad to have it for riding around at night

Last edited:
I love what you did with the tail section...I was wanting to shorten my stock fender also...could you possibly provide more detail...exactly what you did and some detailed pics? I would really appreciate it. I would like to measure twice and cut once when doing this so the more details the merrier.

Thanks!

I love what you did with the tail section...I was wanting to shorten my stock fender also...could you possibly provide more detail...exactly what you did and some detailed pics? I would really appreciate it. I would like to measure twice and cut once when doing this so the more details the merrier.

Thanks!

Thanks! It wasn't 100% what I had in mind, but it'll do lol. I dont really have any pics of what I did. Was in a bit of a rush while getting it done, sorry. I just cut down the fender little by little until it fit. I admit it wasn't the best method, but I just went at it. I used the second holes on the fender and the oem hardware to mount it on the first set of holes in the frame. Essentially sliding it back and cutting so it will match up. I also used another screw to mount it to the plastic pan. I'll try to get some new pictures and put them up:thumbsup:

If you could get me some pics of under the seat so I can see how the fender sits and where you cut the rear frame. It would help me a lot.

Finally had a chance to get some shots and go for a ride!

Got her good and dirty!:laugh:
20130204_222140_zpse6e4c9a0.jpg

20130204_222133_zpsc809f7e1.jpg

Here are more shots of the rear to help others out:thumbsup:
20130204_2228222_zps89216c01.jpg

20130204_222746_zps1e186687.jpg

20130204_222752_zpsa47126d8.jpg

And underneath...
20130204_222822_zps09eecfb0.jpg

I still have some adjustments to do, but am just enjoying having it to ride around for now:bike:

So I did't get a chance to clean her off and now it's kinda bugging me... I went for a ride and decided to get myself into a park near the beach. Im not sure if the stuff is sand or salt??? I also passed by a we construction zone close to the highway.

How bad is it to leave this stuff on there??? I might go try to find a gas station with a hose to get some of it off...

Thanks for the photos vroom.

Do you think you can still ride a passanger with the cut frame since the seat bumps rest on that metal hump thing connecting the rails?

Also where did you get the end caps you stuffed into the cut end rails?

Last edited:
No prob:thumbsup:

Yes, you can def still ride with a passenger. Notice on the picture with the seat up, that the frame hoop that supports the seat is still there. You can also see the rubber mounts under the seat. I didn't cut it shorter for that exact reason. Gotta be able to let the gf hop on with occasionally:D

For the frame plugs, I used the bar end plugs that came with my tracker bars.

Hmmm... Looks to me like the frame isn't as strong as it may have been. Make sure the GF does not exceed the weight limit you consider reasonable. And she will have to sit as close to you as possible, while holding on to you tightly, since the rear grab handles are gone. For safety... Of course! ;)

Hmmm... Looks to me like the frame isn't as strong as it may have been. Make sure the GF does not exceed the weight limit you consider reasonable. And she will have to sit as close to you as possible, while holding on to you tightly, since the rear grab handles are gone. For safety... Of course! ;)

I think those suggestions would be applicable before and after the frame cut:laugh:

On a serious note though, I dont see how the frame would be weaker. The same supports are in place(I only cut off the blinker mounts), so I would think there is actually less weight on the rear of the frame. As we all know, less weight = better!

I think those suggestions would be applicable before and after the frame cut:laugh:

On a serious note though, I dont see how the frame would be weaker. The same supports are in place(I only cut off the blinker mounts), so I would think there is actually less weight on the rear of the frame. As we all know, less weight = better!

I agree I dont see how the frame would be any weaker just removing 2 protruding pieces of metal that really doesnt seem to have any structural importance.

Thanks for all the info vroom im going to be doing this exact set up on my bike:thumbsup:

Good luck with it njcafe!

Had a chance to snap some pics in good light. Enjoy! :D
20130206_084343_zps774c1a23.jpg

20130206_084351_zps41e3bc78.jpg

20130206_084416_zps8c292ea2.jpg

20130206_084404_zps3c7cbd88.jpg

Been riding to work and around town lots... couldnt be happier:bike:

Back