Vroom's 79 Build Thread- scrambler/brat?

Barely had her out and about before she went back under the knife! :laugh:

Propped up the front with the center stand on a wood block and a jack stand on the frame.
20130206_194706_zps36dc6c0e.jpg

Pulled the forks off and decided to do it with fender on. Made it easier to get them off together...
20130206_200647_zps5b6e6a0d.jpg

20130206_200657_zps0d9e199a.jpg

I noticed a small leak in my brake line! But I was able to tighten it up and solve the issue:thumbsup:

Slapped the gaitors on there and also got ride of the oem headlight mounts for something more adjustable.
20130206_210326_zps8d367cf8.jpg

Putting these on made me realize how badly my front forks are sagging... a fork oil flush and fill is def in order. When that happens, my plan is also to paint the fork legs and headlight mounts black...

Progress feels good:)

+1 on the Dime City Cycle Gaitors...fit like a glove on my bike...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 471
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 429
Two is better than one.

I agree, that's why I am looking to get two small black round ones. Just gotta figure out where I'll get the best deal on em. I considered just popping one oem one back on, but they are just too tall.

hmmm maybe put one on upside-down... :shrug:

BCware: I have a bar-end on my sport bike. Not really the look I am going for on this one. I may just pick up the Emgo one and test it out. It's only $10 and I can modify it if needed.

Do you know if the oem mirror mounts on the levers are 10mm?

If I recall correctly the emgo's bolted on, BUT you'll need a Yamaha thread adapter. The slippery devils have a reverse thread on the one side.

Finally have some progress to report!:thumbsup:

I never wanted to do a cafe, and scrambler seats are hard to come by. Also the brat seat just wasn't doing it for me either:doh::laugh: After much speculation and debate, I decided to do some surgery on my seat. The idea was to get it more level like a scrambler seat, but still have it be more comfortable than a brat seat...

I took some pics with the seat on the bike for reference(but always took it off to work on...)

Here the cover has been pulled back, but you still get a good idea of what the seat looked like...
20130225_205815_zpsedb3b883.jpg

You can also look at previous pics for an idea of how it looked with the cover.

My main gripe with the oem seat for this model was the huge hump on the rear, I feel like it was completely over done and needed to be toned down substantially...
20130225_205808_zps4f068ed9.jpg

So my main tools were a bread knife and a large wood sander(looks more like a cheese grater:shrug:). My dad works woodcraft a lot and it was conveniently laying around:thumbsup:

Took a good chunk off, sanded and smoothed the foam, then recovered. This is the first try, but I already knew more would be coming off.
20130225_211623_zps69188497.jpg

Pulled it off again and kept slowly taking layers off. This is how she currently sits...
20130225_2142211_zps3b7a677a.jpg

Im fairly happy with the outcome. Considering it was free! :laugh:
20130225_214226_zps536ee46c.jpg

The cover isnt fully attached yet, so it will be a little more tight over the foam once it's all stretched and secure. I'll get to that tomorrow

Cheers

Thanks BC, Im hoping to get the seat wrapped and snug tonight and also get started on the forks. Just gotta pick up some fork oil on the way home.

Hey I have a question about your forks when you do them. My draining nuts dont stop turning when I tighten them. I noticed the plug bolt only has thread about half way down. Are they designed this way?

You mean drain bolts? No, they are probably stripped. You can try drilling them out and using a thread insert. The outer copper gasket may still contain the fluid.

Back