What Carb Do I Have-Source For Good Rebuild Kits

deeve

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS400 Special and I am not sure exactly what carb I have. I also have a parts bike that may or may not be a 1980...I am still trying to figure that out. Anyone have a good source of info for deciphering which carbs you have on your machine and where to source a quality rebuild kit?

Thanks!
DAVE

Here is a pic of the head tube on the donor bike that I am not sure about. Looking at the label, I would say it is a 1980 as well., but not 100%

IMG_1545.JPG

3f9 would be an 80-SG model. Post a pic of the carbs to make sure those are what came on the bike. I don't buy "kits" I search for the parts I need by OEM part numbers and only use real mikuni jets. jetsrus.com has all the jets you could ever need and most perishable parts can be found on ebay. Yamaha does carry some stuff but prices can be high. A google search of the numbers will turn up lots of stuff.

Thanks. Do a search for the OEM part number to get parts?I am hoping between the two motorcycles I'll be able
to put a set of carbs together.

If you look at my one thread on the father and son build you'll see the carb that came in the titled bike was pretty darn gunned up on one side. I'm going to pull the donor carbs and see how they look. I hope cleaner. Can't imagine much dirtier.

The diaphragms looked good. A little stiff, but no cracks. Maybe I can rejuvenate those.

Thanks! Never heard of the red rubber grease before. I'll have to hunt that down. Is it good for all hardened rubber like the h-pipe on the carbs? It's ok, but a little dry.

@xschris Here are some pics of the carbs. These are the ones off the donor bike. I was hoping they were in better shape, but they are not. Looks I will be spending some time with carb cleaner.

IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG

Back