What did you do with your XS today?

Worked polishing some parts. Switch controls are turning out good now I'm thinking about doing the master cylinder next. Can put up pics if anyone wants.

Here is the left switch box polished.

Attachments

• IMG_2014011853155.jpg
    IMG_2014011853155.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 188
Went to the first automotive flea market of the year and found an old aftermarket fairing with a broken windshield that I thought might look interesting on my Maxim. So I bought it and propped it up on the bike to get an idea of what it might look like (please excuse the mess in my shop, it has been too cold lately to spend time out there).

I think it will look good once it is cleaned-up and properly installed. And will be more aerodynamic than the Lexan 'tombstone' of a windshield I have been running. It will be a challenge to mold a new windshield for it, but I think it will be worth the effort.

Attachments

• Photo 1-19-2014, 14 00 48.jpg
    Photo 1-19-2014, 14 00 48.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo 1-19-2014, 14 01 28.jpg
    Photo 1-19-2014, 14 01 28.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 194
Cool find:thumbsup: By the looks of your shop it looks like it's been too cold for quite a while now:D

Nate, suggest you put more stuff like cardboard under the bike, and newspaper you can throw away as soon as any little bit of dirt etc. gets on it...This way it will always look clean under the bike and the housefrau:thumbsup: will be happy...Spad

Thanks Chris. Yes it has been a while since is did any "house keeping"... <sigh>

Lyle, you nailed it! Shoei FM-2 based on my searches. I'm amazed at the prices they are asking for these on eBay! I talked the vendor down from $50 to $30 as it needs some TLC, the mounting hardware is all missing (my old windshield mounts should work), and the windshield is broken.

The key questions at flea markets appears to be "Does your wife want to see this again?" and "Do you want to take it home or should I?" ;)

Thanks Chris. Yes it has been a while since is did any "house keeping"... <sigh>

Lyle, you nailed it! Shoei FM-2 based on my searches. I'm amazed at the prices they are asking for these on eBay! I talked the vendor down from $50 to $30 as it needs some TLC, the mounting hardware is all missing (my old windshield mounts should work), and the windshield is broken.

The key questions at flea markets appears to be "Does your wife want to see this again?" and "Do you want to take it home or should I?" ;)
Where was the flea market?

More polishing finished. I am having trouble getting all the dirt and corrosion off of the engine. Any help would be awesome. I am thinking about painting the block and fins but need to get it clean enough first. Thanks

The green scotch bright sheets work well on getting in between the fins. The best way would be to soda/bead blast.

78XS400, Harbor Freight sells a cleaning kit with small brushes that work well with Simple Green or 409 cleaner.. I use gun cleaning brushes to get in the hard places between the fins...If you use 409 or Simple Green don't forget to rinse it well with water as the two are acidic and paint will not bond to the surface...Spad

Back