1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you do with your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by logan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Agreed. I got the head and barrel's off the old engine last night. Took some swearing and beating with a large mallet as the head studs were corroded into the barrel's. The YICS chambers were full of sludge, but otherwise the engine looked rather good for having 100K km on it. I did find the remnants of a chain guide. Probably the generator drive chain guide, as it was nowhere to be seen. This would explain some of the noises the engine was making when I retired it. The local bike wreckers don't have any engines, so a rebuild is in order. I'm going to strip and clean the head before I remove the engine from the bike and tear into it. Been trying to find a gasket kit but nothing local or even on eBay in North America that ships to Canada.

Time and parts availability may force my decision.

2. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Disaster motors out of BC is where I got my gaskets and seals...they are aftermarket but perform well as of now

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. arfstrom

arfstrom XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I had the same thing happen. I guess if I would have done a reset on the cam chain tensioner, it might have saved me some damage. but that is just hypothetical. My bike is running, with a new tensioner, and new guides. One had broken in half, the other had a 90 degree bend to it.

4. agent laraby

agent laraby XS400 Enthusiast

(Technically not today but since I last posted) rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, rewired ignition controls and lights and new instruments, pulled down the motor and gearbox , sent the pots off for rebore (they are back now), cleaned and painted the crank case cover and breather cover. ordered new custom headers.
    cleaned head, cover etc
    two days of cleaning the remaining engine casings then lap the new valves and it is time to put the motor back together and drop it back in.
    20170625_175258.jpg

5. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Been removing parts and accessories to install them on my new bike, a 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650. Some day I'll get the Maxim's engine rebuilt, but until then I need a workable bike.

doodsaibot likes this.
  6. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Pulled the 79 out of storage for the first time this year. The oem petcock I rebuilt works as it should. Even after sitting for almost a year the bike started on the second kick.

BBS360, spectra and Maxim-umm like this.
  7. akirasan

akirasan XS400 Member

At the weekend 5-6th Aug I went to Donington circuit to marshal the Yamaha classic weekend.
    Sat I went on the RD250e and on Sun I went on the XS4002e both very different but great fun.
    I only live round the corner but went across country no fun on the motorway.

8. Lou Ranger

Lou Ranger Former xs400 Luddite Top Contributor

For the first time ever, I changed the oil and filter on a motorcycle and didn't spill a single (not one) drop of old oil, anywhere.
    Every single drop went into the catchment tray, and none of the bolts or washers went keplunk.
    :smoke:

Jeff0133 and spectra like this.
  9. uglyduckling

uglyduckling uglyduckling

Heres a pic of the ugly duckling over looking the okanagan lake. 2000+ kms round trip Calgary to Vernon via Rogers pass return to Calgary via Crows nest pass! WOOHOO 20170717_114959.jpg

10. tmatter

tmatter XS400 Enthusiast

Painted my wheels for my build project. If you're interested you can check it out in the garage. It's called XS GP4 build. IMG_20170814_211459560.jpg

trippel, BBS360 and Jeff0133 like this.
  11. Vintage_Metal

Vintage_Metal XS400 Member

Polished, polished, polished. Cleaned air boxes. Ordered parts.

spectra likes this.
  12. firebane

firebane XS400 Member

Discovered PO felt the need to torque the oil filter cover on with he-man strength and cracked it.

Took it off and it fell apart in 3 pieces....

Time to hunt for that or a Kawasaki replacement.

13. Jeff0133

Gave her a good clean, have to go get a new oil filter and fresh Rotella oil as I am up to the 1000km mark since my engine rebuild.

14. Vintage_Metal

Vintage_Metal XS400 Member

New oil, filter and correct plugs installed. Almost went and bought a battery but got lazy.

15. Jeff0133

Oil and filter changed.
    Happy to report that the oil was really clean after the first 1K km of ridind the rebuilt engine.

spectra likes this.
  16. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

IMG_4018.jpg Got it out for the first run last night........ran it about 10 mins on a 2 mile or so run and seemed to go alright. Re adjusted the valves this morning and now it sounds like crap......going to do it again in a few......I hate adjusting the valves in these things its a PITA.....I remember the days of owning VWs and they were easy to deal with.....

17. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

Hey guys, just picked up this 77 xs400 today! Happy to be back on a small japanese bike again. Has an idle issue and sounds like its running very rich, so I'll have to figure all that out

Attached Files:

trippel, BBS360 and spectra like this.
  18. Stpierre

Stpierre XS400 Addict

What a nice bike! Good find.

pat_man likes this.
  19. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

I couldn't believe it, saw it on craigslist and went and got it same day. Fresh recovered seat, clean tank, new tires, owned by an enthusiast

trippel and Stpierre like this.
  20. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

That's a 78 2-E model. Those are also aftermarket mufflers. Keep that in mind when you address the jetting. Looks like a nice bike. I would be a good candidate for a factory restoration. These early bikes are getting very hard to find.

spectra likes this.