What did you do with your XS today?

That's a 78 2-E model. Those are also aftermarket mufflers. Keep that in mind when you address the jetting. Looks like a nice bike. I would be a good candidate for a factory restoration. These early bikes are getting very hard to find.

I was wondering why the exhaust hangers didn't line up. Definitely needs a good carb cleaning and tuning.

Went for a ride with friends.
One of them had an FZ-09 and wanted to switch bikes for a while so we did...
Fine bike the FZ, quick,,comfortable fuel injected thing...but...no sound...no soul.
Was eager to get mine back, I simply love those screaming carbs and my driving position.
So I guess my next project bike will still be an 80s bike with carbs

Got a new chain and sprocket set today, took about 2hrs to install. It's like riding a new bike. The old chain had ~1.5in of slop. Also installed some flat drag bars on it and adjusted the clutch

Rode to coffee, ran out of gas, filled gas tank, installed fuel filter. I think my left carb is already clogged. Bike doesn't want to idle anymore.

Cleaned out what seemed to be the equivalent of the bikes life of grease and oil from behind the sprocket cover.

Now to move onto plugs, wires, and caps.

Set the valve clearances last night only to discover one of the adjusting screws is trash:
20170830_091829.jpg

Other one on same side is pitted so I've ordered two replacements.

Hopefully there aren't many metal bits floating around inside....

So while riding lately I have what I can only describe as a knock when at certain RPMs and can get louder or more occuring as the bike gets hotter. I figured today I would do a valve check but before I got that far I pulled the plugs and well I think I know what the knock is from...

Time for some air mixture adjustments.

SqbeLPRl.jpg

Plugs look fine to me also. How many miles are on those? The porcelain should be clean and the threaded metal ring should have a bit of carbon on it. There are ways to read the plugs for throttle spot after plug chops. Your type of fuel also plays into this and any mods to the bike. I have five of these bikes and have put on almost 30k miles between them. I would think I know what plugs look like for these bikes;) If your worried about engine temps get a I.R. gun and check the head. I use one and get the same temp for all my bikes within 10-15*f even the modified ones. I see you have a dohc xs, dave know's more than most people about what those should be like. I would listen to his advice.

Last edited:
Soaked and super cleaned the carbs. Full disassembly. Question for y'all...

Left cylinder not firing. I found The left carb missing the little o-ring under the mixture screw. Is that enough to cause a misfire?

Replaced the carb boots with a set from ebay, a little tight getting the carbs back on but I figured it out. Seems to have mostly solved an issue of backfiring whenever letting off the gas. Still need to clean the carbs and adjust the valves, neither of which I've ever done before
yxcNBoSl.jpg

Replaced the carb boots with a set from ebay, a little tight getting the carbs back on but I figured it out. Seems to have mostly solved an issue of backfiring whenever letting off the gas. Still need to clean the carbs and adjust the valves, neither of which I've ever done before
yxcNBoSl.jpg

Nice looking bike! Horses are not to shabby either........

Cleaning the carbs is pretty easy you should have done it when they were off. And valves just look it up they are not to bad just make sure you have a decent feeler gauge and prepare to bend them a little.......

Nice looking bike! Horses are not to shabby either........

Cleaning the carbs is pretty easy you should have done it when they were off. And valves just look it up they are not to bad just make sure you have a decent feeler gauge and prepare to bend them a little.......

Its my daily rider and I didn't want to take it off the road right before the weekend. Its been pretty smoky here in the NW so maybe I'll do them this week while conditions aren't great

Its my daily rider and I didn't want to take it off the road right before the weekend. Its been pretty smoky here in the NW so maybe I'll do them this week while conditions aren't great

Tell me about the smoke :laugh2: I am just west of the Gorge and its on fire.................maybe 30 miles from me.

Back