What kind of grease do you use for the axles and such?

Johnny3D

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cleaning and fixing up my 1980 XS400 and I'm just curious if you guys know of a particular type of grease that is considered "best" to use for the axles and/or for other parts?

I use lucas red "N" tacky. Works great. DSC03121.JPG

any issues with the shelf life of red and tacky? i had a tube a while back and it separated after sitting in the garage for a few months

LM2 grease; bearings
mobbydick (grey stuff) ones for bushes
copper for fasteners
red rubber for condoms and other rubbers like panel rubbers

Cool. Good to know. I have a can of Valvoline Multi-Purpose grease that is supposed to be good for all sorts of things (including Japanese vehicles), but I wondered if there was something specific I should use. Sounds like as long as it's a decent grease, it'll be fine.

any issues with the shelf life of red and tacky? i had a tube a while back and it separated after sitting in the garage for a few months

I have been using the same tube for about 3 yrs now with no issues. The stuff that is in my gun seems fine to. On hot days in the garage 95+ temps I do see a drip or two come out of the gun, but there was still a bit of the old valvoline greese in there from about 5yrs ago. So not sure if it was some of that.

Back