What Next... The Weather Is Getting Nicer..

Allissa Subasavage

XS400 Member
Reaction score
1980Xs400 Special
Alright. So original owner swore it ran fine last Summer-October. Get it home, battery seems dead, so just charged it. Let it rest overnight, yada yada. Replaced, and it acts like it wants to start. Go back a few days later using a jump pack and almost the same thing, but it drained the pack in less than 5 mins. Oil and filter changed, removing all gas from crank case (hopefully where the previous owner left the petcock open ;) ). Can anyone lead me in a new direction.. or simply a direction? I want it running but don't want to take everything apart right now. I'm sure carbs need to be cleaned, but not sure where to go from there... Also, video coming soon of some spinning noise. Trying to figure out if it means anything. Will update thread once Vimeo gets its act together.

Video as promised: https://vimeo.com/124258948

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the video but it almost sounds like it has no compression at all, seems as if the pistons are moving up and down in the cylinders for a while after you have kicked it over.

somethings not catching, sounded like it fluttered a bit, then that spinning noise? How is the spark? Does not sound like there is any. Videos are great to help diagnose, thanks for that.

Do a compression test. Change the plugs. Check for spark. Clean the carbs (rebuild if necessary). Make sure gas is getting to the carbs, and the gas is fresh. Lot of threads on these:)

We've tested for spark, almost got shocked, but saw the spark on both sides. I was thinking changing plugs anyway, but was told they should be fine based on their look and that we had spark. What gets me is after charging, it acts like it wants to turn over/start, and after using all of the energy we moved to kickstart and that's when it seems to have no compression/sad sounding. So.. Is it the battery causing an issue as well as other stuff? And yes I have read that thread. Was just hoping I wouldn't have to replace a lot of things as it was running a few months ago. But.. I should've known better and just bite the bullet. Looks like I'll be breaking things down, and really see what's going on. But.. I guess my question is should I go ahead and buy a new battery, or delve deeper.. I'm sure I'll find issues, but any chance a simple battery will fix it? ..... Stupidly hoping.

Are the plugs wet at all? If yes then I would replace them (might be good just to do it anyway) If the battery charges it should be ok. Do a compression test. If YOU have never had the carbs apart then it would be a good idea to do it. A clean set of carbs make a HUGH difference :wink2:

So... sat it on the battery charger for a bit today... and viola!! Rode it around the block, and it was wonderful. Definitely has a small oil leak up front, but I am so happy to know she goes. I knew it had to run at some point and those horrible things couldn't exactly be the issue.

https://vimeo.com/124719508

Awesome! Sound like the valve rockers are a little loose. Have you adjusted them yet?

Where is your riding gear? You can make all the excuses for stupid that you want, but would your friends still want to be seen with you if you had scars from road rash on your pretty face? Would your mom still kiss your gravel ground cheek?

It only takes a minute to put a helmet and gloves on. It takes years of cosmetic surgeries to undo the damage of not taking a minute...

Back