Whatever can go wrong, does.

Monowakari

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So long list of problems to take care of right now.
  • Piston Rings Left Cylinder burning oil like a siv, this is new. Gonna re-fit both. -(Just a guess, but leak down test was 130psi, add teaspoon oil, 150psi)
  • Need a new chain as mine is kind of seizing and making terrible noises. Sprockets are fine.
  • Rear brake pads, might as well do the front as well.
  • Rear tire adjustments are becoming increasingly infuriating, there is lateral play so the tire wobbles from: \ to | to / to | to \ etc... if you're staring down the tire as it turns. Like dafuq? How do you fix that?
  • Head gaskets both need to be replaced, do that when doing piston rings.
  • Need to check Cylinder bore and reset valve lap and guides.
  • Need to fabricate a new seat.
  • Petcock is leaking even when "off" and leaked all over the crankcase, flooded the carbs and backed up into the air filters, even leaked out of the muffler at one f***ing point.
  • My gas cap seal has shit the bed and leaks all over the tank if I fill within an inch of the top.
  • My main oil drain bolt is leaking, yay fun, might just not be torqued enough, picked up a bigger wrench for that and rear tire spec.
  • Also going to do another oil change cause I think some gas got in the crank case due to leaky petcock, gotta fix the petcock first.
  • Finally found a new generator cover, mine had cracks on 2 sides and the bottom hole was completely shattered, still waiting on a gasket though!
  • Need to get around to installing H-pipe and new air filters however then I'm worrying about my jets as well.
  • And now I'm worried about both wheel bearings because I'm hearing some noise like they need serious greasing at the least.
  • [edit to add] Chain Guard, Attach license plate/light assembly to new seat
Throw in a serious learning curve and welcome to my rant. :banghead: I've estimated at least $400-600 in parts off ebay, sourcing locally as much as possible.

/rant

On that note I must say I absolutely love my xs400 :love: and it's worth all the effort. But when the sun's out and I just want to be rippin' around, it's painful to have to bicycle all around town to buy parts and be constantly scratchin' my head over what to prioritize next. Thankfully my spring college courses have come to and end and I have more time to get to things.

Last edited:
I have a slightly used generator cover gasket that you're welcome to, the round one.
Actually saw you rolling down Blanshard St the other day. It's a kind of distinctive bike. :)

At 130psi I'd be surprised if your rings need replacing.

There's only one head gasket. Also a cylinder base seal between the jugs and crankcase. Unless you have an obvious leak the base gasket is probably fine.

Rear tire adjustments are becoming increasingly infuriating, there is lateral play so the tire wobbles from: \ to | to / to | to \ etc... if you're staring down the tire as it turns. Like dafuq? How do you fix that?
And now I'm worried about both wheel bearings because I'm hearing some noise like they need serious greasing at the least.
Sounds like the two problems might have the same cause. Does the axle stay stationary while the wheel wobbles? Get new bearings ASAP if that's the case.
-Petcock is leaking even when "off" and leaked all over the crankcase, flooded the carbs and backed up into the air filters, even leaked out of the muffler at one f***ing point.
There are rebuild kits or new replacements. The replacements that fit aren't vacuum actuated so you have to turn them on/off every time you ride.
A good interior cleaning might do it.
-My gas cap seal has shit the bed and leaks all over the tank if I fill within an inch of the top.
New ones available from xs650direct, part# 20-0036 fits our stock caps perfectly. It's a bit of an operation to get the old one apart, clean, and back together again. I've rebuilt two though and they work fine.
Try to order everything you might need from xs650direct at once to save on shipping.
For some stupid reason xs650direct doesn't mention xs400 compatibility so you have to browse mikesxs at the same time to cross-reference part numbers, since mikesxs does list compatible models.
My main oil drain bolt is leaking, yay fun, might just not be torqued enough, picked up a bigger wrench for that and rear tire spec.
I don't recall of the top of my head but it's a standard size. Cheap ones on ebay or probably even from one of the shops in town.
Throw in a serious learning curve and welcome to my rant. :banghead: I've estimated at least $400-600 in parts off ebay, sourcing locally as much as possible.
That's where I was when I got my first one, the 360. Broken plenty of bolts and other things through my own stupidity. Just picked up a new clutch spring bolt from SG Power today after breaking one of them.
Ordered a whole top-end replacement bolt kit after breaking one of the valve cover bolts. Broke at half the specced torque while the other ones all torqued down properly....
Lots of frustrations but my xs400 is getting closer to being road worthy.

Oh man, VicCity pow-wow going on here.

If you need parts I may be able to help you out. I got a set of std size pistons with all the rings... not sure if the 77 will fit yours (what year is it?).

Interestingly enough, the parts desk at SG can get a lot of parts in for cheaper than the internet, which is odd but refreshing. They're also ridiculously nice people who will give you bolts and washers for free :)

Also, SG can get in AllBalls wheel bearing kits for a solid $10 cheaper than anywhere else. Like I said, good people to deal with! Good luck on the build. I know if I made a list of all the things that are wrong with my bike Travis would need to buy more server storage :p

Sounds like the two problems might have the same cause. Does the axle stay stationary while the wheel wobbles? Get new bearings ASAP if that's the case.
Got new bearings today, installing tonight or tomorrow morning. Cleaned the shit out of the chain and sprocket and turns out they're actually pretty decent.

A good interior cleaning might do it.
Figured as much, good to hear that I'll give it a shot.

Part# 20-0036 fits our stock caps perfectly.
Thanks man that's really good to hear.

Lots of frustrations but my xs400 is getting closer to being road worthy.[/QUOTE]
This is basically my life, except thankfully mine can still run me around as my main transportation. Got pulled over though today for license plate being too flat and no chain guard. No ticket but required to get an inspection, fix everything, get it re-inspected for proof then head over to ICBC. At least no tickets, but more has been added to the danged list lol! Thanks for the reply BBS360

Oh man, VicCity pow-wow going on here.

If you need parts I may be able to help you out. I got a set of std size pistons with all the rings... not sure if the 77 will fit yours (what year is it?).

Interestingly enough, the parts desk at SG can get a lot of parts in for cheaper than the internet, which is odd but refreshing. They're also ridiculously nice people who will give you bolts and washers for free :)

Also, SG can get in AllBalls wheel bearing kits for a solid $10 cheaper than anywhere else. Like I said, good people to deal with! Good luck on the build. I know if I made a list of all the things that are wrong with my bike Travis would need to buy more server storage :p

Represent! lol. So far every time I've spoken with SG they're awesome dudes, they just haven't had what I've needed and cant do the inspection I need. Mine's a 78 and I haven't a clue whether they're compatible... but you'd have to imagine sequential years at the start of the manufacturing run shouldn't vary too far apart. I'll dig into it and get back to you? Thanks!

I have a slightly used generator cover gasket that you're welcome to, the round one.
Actually saw you rolling down Blanshard St the other day. It's a kind of distinctive bike. :)

At 130psi I'd be surprised if your rings need replacing.

There's only one head gasket. Also a cylinder base seal between the jugs and crankcase. Unless you have an obvious leak the base gasket is probably fine.
Base Gasket is weeping a bit too yeah, headers burn on a good ride and you can smell it cooking lol. Ah...first bike woes... Might just do the rings anyway due to the big jump in the leak down test (20psi consistently). And I've lost some compression since my very first compression test (168psi L, 156psi R -now- 130psi, 150psi respectively). I will take you up on that gasket however! Mine is in no state to be reused, it is definitely on it's last compression ;) Now to go tinker

Okay new problem with the rear tire. If I'm at the back of the bike and looking down at the tire then spin it, the tire turns for about 3/4 revolution "straight" then for about the last 1/4 rev the profile (think: left chicken strip looking down at the ground without parallax) kicks out a bit less than a quarter inch (1/4"). Like this:

spin |
spin |
spin |
spin / (wobble), and at the extreme edge it moves that 1/4 inch, causing the chain to tension and loosen and make interesting noises.

Every time it "wobbles" or cocks out like that you can hear a faint metallic grinding from the rear brake housing/caliper for that 1/4 revolution (chain off to get rid of that noise). Currently unrideable due to this.

So, all I can figure is, it's not the brake pad alone because the tire itself is moving. Its not the bearings I literally just redid them and was anal in setting it all back up, unless something is going on in there on the mating surfaces between collar/spacers/bearings, but how that would translate to a 1/4 turn wobble I don't know. Rear axle nut is torque to spec. Axle really did not seem bent. Both adjusters are aligned to identical marks with less than 1mm of difference in the adjusting bolt threads. Sprocket is worn but mounted square and I thoroughly scrubbed all mating surfaces. So I'm guessing it's either the tire is not beaded in right or the wheel itself is not true (mag, not spoked) or a bent swing arm. I'll be figuring out more in the morning

Otherwise I'm at a loss boys.

Thanks to BBS for the gasket! Fixed that problem lol

Last edited:

Bad filming but what can ya do... Look at the top right of the video along the edge of the tire and you can see it kick out for about 1/4 revolution. I found the problem spot, it's between the tire balance weights installed previous to me owning it and the air valve. It's not heavy, it doesn't always settle in the same spot. I really need someone to suggest a fix here lol. New rim? God forbid.

Back