what's your toolbox stocked with?

doubleextramayo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tool talk time.

What kind of brands of tools do you guys like to use? I'm talking about the meat and potatos of your toolboxes AKA wrenches/sockets/screwdrivers.

Are you the type to dole out the big bucks for snap-on, or are you more of a harbour freight/whatever's on sale kind of person?

Me personally I'm a craftsmen kinda guy (for sockets at least). Better then stanley/husky brands in my opinion, and you can't really beat the warranty.

For wrenches I'm using a set of Jet's that the girlfriend's old man let me borrow. However I've been eyeing up a set of Gray wrenches recently.

Screwdrivers come from a Fuller set. Wouldn't recommend. Snapped a couple of the flatheads, and the phillips really struggle to to grab and hold. Probably going to buy a couple of Kleins once the next paycheque drops.

Anybody else want to throw in their 2 cents?:boxing:

Snap-On, Proto & Craftsman are the preferred and are used in situations where much force is needed. I snag these whenever cheap at auctions. Otherwise, I was gifted a nice Channel-Loc mechanics tool set and a matching screwdriver set, complete with bottle opener.

The cashier at Autozone told me that their Duralast tool line has started offering lifetime replacements, so that's the cheap "disposable" tool source when I'm in a pinch, since there's one a quarter mile from my residence.

Mine is stocked with MAC and Craftsman. MAC for my sockets and wrenches that stay at home, craftsman/HF for stuff i dont mind beating up at junkyards/on the road. Ive been using harbor freight screwdrives with suprisingly good results. Oddly enough, i havent snapped a single one. Compared to the craftsmans which snap like pretzels on very rusted screws. (in my experience)

I switched to MAC because I've been really turned off by craftsman's "warranty" which requires me to have a receipt when i walk in. And a couple of the sears in my area have shut down, which makes i a trek and a half to drive to one an maybe get a warranty.

@lemonhead i didnt know those were lifetime. Ill be looking into that

True about the receipt thing with craftsmen. I always keep my tool receipts though. Working with tools for a living (carpenter) allows me to get some of that money back when tax time rolls around. Even if those tools stay at home and never come with me to work. Don't tell the government about that one though...

I'll save you the "looking into." Right off the Autozone website:

Duralast hand tools are of such exceptional quality, that they're all guaranteed for life. Any tool that fails to perform correctly can be replaced free of charge at any of our over 4,700 AutoZone stores across the country.

Back