Where can I get a decent cheap ohm meter.

rugbywarrior89

Need more time...
Reaction score
My voltage meter only goes down to 200 ohms and makes it somewhat difficult to measure 0.72 ohms for my stator. I looked all over town and couldn't find one lower than 200. I looked online and all I saw were huge machines upwards of $300. It seems to me I should be able to find one like my volt meter that can measure smaller resistance. Any ideas?

On my Radio Shack multimeter, the 200 ohn range measures 0-200 ohms, so it works. About $24.95, but I've had ir for years.

My volt meter must not be that good then cause when I short circuit the probes, it reads about 1.5 and bounces all over the place. I can't really get an accurate reading like that.

I think walmart has digital ones for a good price. When you do buy one get a digital:wink2:

Mine is digital but I guess it's just poor quality. Thanks for the tips, I thought you guys were just running around with low resistance meters and I never got the memo.:) I will see about getting a new one soon.

My volt meter must not be that good then cause when I short circuit the probes, it reads about 1.5 and bounces all over the place. I can't really get an accurate reading like that.

I think you're right. I think it's time for a new multimeter, but if you only use it every so often (like me) there's no need to spend more than $15-$30. If I had to depend on one for my livelihood, I'd drop $300-$400 on a nice Fluke, but lawyers hardly ever need multimeters.

Start by changing the battery on the ohm meter you have. most cheapo meters only have 200ohm range as the lowest setting. Mine is no different, the 200 ohm range will be ok for 3 number slots and should have at least one decimal point. If you read .7 or .8 consider this should be fine as you are still within 10% range. When you short the leads together you will get your base reading that can be deducted from the overall reading for your true numbers. Sometimes mine wants to add 1.2 ohm, and sometimes if I am patient I can get as low as .3 or .4 ohm base readings, but it never bothered me much as long as I check this base reading before conducting any tests and sub this from the final results. You should be fine with the meter you have and fresh batteries, maybe even replace the lead connectors if you really feel necessary. $10 could get you a cheapo meter from china on ebay, but you wont be any more satisfied with that rather than what you have. I say its money and time out the window... unless you actually fried the meter from improper use.

Never thought about the battery being low. I did deduct the base reading before because it was pretty steady but then all the sudden it got jumpy. Perhaps changing the probes wouldn't be a bad idea either. Are they universal connectors?

should be pretty standard to replace, you can get ones with probes or clips. If they are hard wired into the meter itself and soldered straight to the board you may have to weigh this mod against buying another meter. But that's only if the wires seem damaged in any way. My cheap meter the connectors are removable as there is a different position on the positive, one for DC voltage and one for AC voltage.

While we're on the subject, I'm not really sure when to plug my probes into the 10A settings. I have it set up the other way right now and it seems to do just fine. I'm not really sure what the differences are.

You use the 10a slot when doing amp readings. Everything else uses the other slot.
I have had good luck with the meters from Harbor Freight. I have the item #90899 Sometimes with a coupon and you buy over $19 worth of stuff it's free. Regular price is around $7. often on sale for $2.99.
Trying a new battery would be the first thing to try. Also clean the ends that plug in as well as the holes they plug into. A bit of crud can greatly effect the readings. A bit of alcohol or electrical contact cleaner on a Q-tip for the holes.
Leo

Back