XS 360 "Chopper" simplified wiring diagram

Gray

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm trying to help a good friend get a bastardized '76 XS360 back on the road, and the last hurdle to jump is the wiring (of course). I rebuilt the motor crank-up a couple years ago, but it's all been sitting since then. Time to get this thing going.

I'm looking for a simplified wiring diagram for an XS360 (kick only, no blinkers or gauges, toggle on/off, etc.)

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I have done plenty of digging around on this site and others, but it looks like all of the diagrams that would fit this description have fallen off over time.

Thank you,
Gray

Simple ideas here https://bikebrewers.com/cafe-racer-wiring/ I re wired mine but used a M Unit and scoured all sorts of sites for diagrams. In the end its pretty simple I think to make a nice clean harness just take your time and make nice connections.

Cafe-racer-wiring-kick-only.png

That's not horrible for a bare bones bike. Keep in mind our bikes do have batteries.
You'll still need the regulator and condenser wired in.

Thanks @spectra and @BBS360. This diagram really does help to answer my questions. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to make the harness as simple as the one above, knowing that a lot of Japanese bikes require extra diodes and whatnot, due to "over engineering". Haha. According to this diagram that's not the case. Maybe that stuff started in the '80's?

Spectra, what is an "M Unit"?

BBS360, so these bikes DO require a battery and won't run off the stater even with a capacitor? Good to know. This bike will be kick only, but there are no plans to remove the battery box, so I might as well run battery anyway.

Thanks again, guys.

Yeah.
No battery, no field, no stator output, no sparks.

The M-unit is a power distribution device made by motogadget. Solid state, no fuses, Bluetooth connectivity on the latest model.
Hugely overkill for a simple wiring system like you're going for. You'd only use maybe 1/4 of what it has.

M unit is basically a fuse box and also a controller in one. I went with it as I wanted to see how they worked. Great product if you like gadgets. On my new build just going simple and using factory stuff.

Thanks for your help, guys. I started tonight by checking the regulator and rectifier. Thinking ahead, I picked these up the other day to test at my place.

Starting with the regulator, with the multimeter set at 0-200 ohms, I got a reading that bounced between 17 and 21 ohms between black and the regulator base. Never sat anywhere and stayed there. The second reading, between green and brown came out at 15.9.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the unit be replaced?

Last edited:
Well me and electronics don't work well together :) that was one reason for the M unit.....I also bought a new rec/reg unit as I didn't even want to mess with the older stuff I had. I figured the 90 dollars was easier to spend than deal with issues.

Both readings are out of spec, but you haven't said, are you actually having charging issues?
Either way, if you're redoing everything it's a great time to switch to newer equipment.
Do a forum search for r-292. It's a commonly available regulator that will substitute for stock.

@spectra I totally understand that, and it's good to know that that's an option :thumbsup:.

@BBS360 I have no idea if there's a charging issue or not. I was told that it "ran just fine" before all the wiring was pulled apart. Rather than trying to fix problems that may or may not be there, I'm starting from scratch. The wiring on this thing is already pretty minimal, but it's a rat's nest, at best. I'll definitely look into that R-292.

I'm gonna check the rectifier next and see where it stands. Wish me luck.

I may be jumping the gun, but is there a combined regulator/rectifier option that will work on an XS 360? Looking at the page in the manual that lists the steps to test the rectifier leaves me totally confused.

Last edited:
Combo regulator/rectifiers have been hit or miss.
The XS400s have two different styles of regulator that are not compatible, but none of the combo reg/rec manufacturers differentiate between the model years.
The XS360 uses the same regulator as early XS400s.

It is only a wiring difference. Since you are redoing the wiring it would be no problem to wire according to the reg/rec, rather than matching the reg/rec to the bike.
That being said the regulator still needs to have the field coil outputs so not just any reg/rec will work.
One model that has been used successfully is the RR38. You could also use one from a DOHC XS400 and wire according to their wiring diagram.

Back