XS 400 cafe racer style...ish build

Hi all, bike is now running and kicking over fine. Some fine tuning probably required. Still running the ( what I now believe to be ) 250 carbs, I'll see how they run once ridden a bit, check plugs, but ticks over nicely now. Hasn't been started for couple of months and fired up on third kick. Been so busy with work, away a lot! But managed to get some time in garage today. Still waiting for my mate to return my tank and seal cowl nicely painted....he's doing me mates rates so can't really rush him too much! Need to get a speedo....any suggestions? Also looking how best to place / fix the number plate....ideas most welcome. Fit some braided brake lines, front mudguard and should be nearly there. I'll,take some pics and put up.

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0551.JPG Update and some pics. Plate holder fitted ( needs painting and will add a light). Had a go at fabing a chain guard. Not sure on it tbh. Front mud guard fitted. Daytona speedo. Braided lines ( need to finish). Have some more jets to set up carbs and will sync them. Did the valve clearance checks. Still awaiting my tank and rear cowl back from paint....fingers crossed next week. Getting there. Thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Thanks, in my wisdom I have now painted the front forks black. Not sure that was needed. But will take some more pics. Just waiting for some more decals to arrive as cocked up one side! Then it can be lacquered etc. Should be on the road this summer.....at some point...hopefully!

So....nearly done. Think it will always be nearly done! Tank and cowl can now go off to be lacquered. When back I will the sync carbs, hopefully ride and see how it's goes. Then take for mot. Sure there will be a few more hiccups along the way but all in all, not far off. Rear lights I will put in after lacquered. Wish I'd gone for a single light! On hols next week so aniticipate done by end Aug. Just in time to ride it then put it away for winter! Pics below, as always thoughts and ideas welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 407
Tank and cowel has gone off to be lacquered. I'm away for 10 days from tomorrow so will pick up when back. Need to sort a wiring issue out. My speedo unit seems to switch off and back on? when I switch my lights to full beam...strange. Something I have done I'm sure. Then I'll test ride it....fingers crossed!

Hi all, got my tank etc back from lacquer. Rode for first time today! Requires some fine tuning and small bits finishing but all in all 95% there now, although has a nasty habit of running on one cyclometer from time to time. Need to look into that, welocome any thoughts. Pictures below

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 363
Nice job! Mine ran on one from time to time too. Not sure what I did that solved it. This is most of what I did but maybe not exactly in order. Somewhere after cleaning carbs and setting the point gaps it mostly stopped running on one but it didn't start running good until I finished jetting. The list; cleaned carbs thoroughly, cleaned carbs thoroughly, cleaned carbs thoroughly, check there are no vacuum leaks in rubber mounts, cleaned and gap points, set timing with a continuity light, checked and set timing with a timing light, set valve lash, synched carbs, and re-jetted carbs for new exhaust.

Cool, thanks for your info & help. i will run through / check these items. Spark is ok and coils measure in tolerance as per manual. Think jets need looking at as running far too lean I suspect. But will check and sync carbs too.

Thanks,

Well, bike is now running well. No longer dropping on 1 cylinder. Not sure what I did but re connected the coils with better connectors, and have re jetted the carbs. Have ridden a little. Seems to pull very well and goes through the gears ok. Surprised as has bit more go than I thought it would have had! So super pleased. Such a joy to bop about on. Can't wait to take it out more than my MT 09 at the mo. Goes for MOT / test on Wednesday. So fingers crosssed it passes. Then I can be fully on the road. No doubt will need some fine tuning once I put some more miles on it. Will take pics and post.

Big thanks to all on hear. So much knowledge and help! Dare say I'll be needing it again at some point too!

Bike passed test, so now fully legal on the road! Just wish it was the start of summer, but hey ho. Although the bike did frustratingly drop on one cylinder again on way home....further investigation required it seems

I wanted to bring this back and ask what you did with the kickstart on your bike to get it to clear the Raask rearsets? On mine it does not clear the peg, even in the folded up position.

Sivert seemed to think that maybe a different kickstarter would clear... but couldn't recall what model

I wanted to bring this back and ask what you did with the kickstart on your bike to get it to clear the Raask rearsets? On mine it does not clear the peg, even in the folded up position.

Sivert seemed to think that maybe a different kickstarter would clear... but couldn't recall what model

That would be my question too.. Did you already find out how to solve the problem?

Back