XS400 Bobber build/first post

I should take just a few minutes to replace just make sure that everything is oiled and moves well. And the new ones lobe is not rounded the wear marks should not go all the way around the flat spot is where the points make contact.

Attachments

• DSC01739.jpg
    DSC01739.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,130
^ thanks! i tossed everything in, and found out my old cam lobe was jacked. so i replaced it, and it fired right up on the first kick! but it fired intermittently on the left side, mostly hanging when i rev it, swapped plugs and coils, and its still doing the same thing. im thinking its a buggered up wire, so ill be checking my connections. when i gave it a quick look, i didnt see anything that jumped out at me so i guess well see

well... its been awhile, so I have some updates to make. well start with the fact that its done, from there, ill fill you in on what brought me to this point.

just looked and holy cow I haven't posted pics in like a year lol. well got a new tank,
sportster peanut tank, and the petcock hit the frame, so I had a friend weld in a half round piece of stainless to clear it. before (shit picture)

after... ill post a pic 2morro

then I had a cam seal leak

sorted that out, and she looked like this for a bit:

had a sissy bar fabbed up and put my new tires on. kenda dual sports.

said fuck the old battery and got a little 4 cell ballistic to tuck in my electronics box. swapped out my old condenser and rectifier for the ones off the 360 I bought, and everything was right as rain, cept for the carbs. dude across the street was eating dinner with his family and me and my dad were about 2 hours into the carbs on carbs off ballet, he HEARS that my air mixture screw was clogged. came over the next day, pulled them and the second taper on the needle had broken off and wasn't moving, so we robbed some needles outta the other 400 I bought and everything was good to go. he was a tech at Yamaha 25+ years ago so he worked on these things when they were new. we timed it with a light and shes purrin like a kitten. runs first kick unless its been a few days. also installed my starter. again. turns out my battery (at a full charge) has enough CCA to start my bike! badass!

first ride out my clutch pushrod seal leaked so bad I couldn't use my brake by the end of it. I went 1 hour away to my buddies house. that oil stain was from sitting idling for 3 minutes. went home ordered 2 new ones, turns out I got the wrong seal. part number was different. it was weeping outta the hole for the clutch rod. tossed new ones in and it was all good.

ive had more or less no problems with it and ive been good to go.
heres some from the past few days

what I built this bike for. EVERYTHING

Hey guys I'm in mchenry county. Know of anyone selling a set of carbs or a parts bike they're selling? I've got a cracked housing on my 79.

Posted via Mobile

Looks sweet mate, and sounds great! Now you get to enjoy all your hard work :thumbsup:

Dad: Turn your key on!
Volcomskater: yep
Dad: Turn your light on!
Volcomskater: nods & smiles
Dad: SLOW DOWN!
Voclomskater: OKKKKKKK .....riding off into the night waking up the neighbourhood with loud ass pipes.

thanks guys. works pretty slow today so i might make a condensed pic post or just a new build thread to post pics of the rebuild to take place over winter. yeah im gonna do that now.

thanks again to:
Dad - wiring wizard and not trowing it into the street on gabage day
Matt Tures - hardtail welding
xscris - selling me damn near new ignition parts and answering my questions
Drewpy - once again answering all my questions
Frwinks - answering my questions
BCware - for doing carb write ups and videos, that helped a lot
@Rule_so_hard on instagram - friend and really really good at tuning carbs so he walked my through my jetting.
Jose - dads friend fabbed my sissy bar?
TRAVIS - hardtail axle plates, stickers shirt, and this awesome website in general and for the feature!!

anyone else im missing on here chime in. if i missed you im sorry, but its hard to remember screen names after 1.5 years or so, but im trying. ill see yall in the new build thread. any questions PM me or post here, new thread will be for progress from this point forward!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Nice build, i like it. How do you like that tire combo? Any new updates?
Thanks man. I love the front. The rear is great on road and grass. Anything loose (gravel) makes the back end go all squirrly. I would prefer a different tire with worse street manners and better off road, as i do that a lot. As far as updates, I need to sit down and start a new thread for the rebuild. But here's a pic in the meantimeuploadfromtaptalk1430601543412.jpg

Same thing happened to me with the busted kick starter boss - I'm figuring some previous owner dropped it and it landed on the kick lever and busted a chunk out of the boss - it still managed to kick fine ... for about 6wks ... then another chunk broke out and left me with a pencil-sized hole in my case. I craigslisted one for $350 - seller said the motor had 8,000 miles and ran ... I generally don't trust too many folks at first but I must say after installing the motor and checking out timing and valves etc ... I'm inclined to believe him ... the motor does run perfectly. I'm turning the old motor into a man-cave coffee table.

- J

Same thing happened to me with the busted kick starter boss - I'm figuring some previous owner dropped it and it landed on the kick lever and busted a chunk out of the boss - it still managed to kick fine ... for about 6wks ... then another chunk broke out and left me with a pencil-sized hole in my case. I craigslisted one for $350 - seller said the motor had 8,000 miles and ran ... I generally don't trust too many folks at first but I must say after installing the motor and checking out timing and valves etc ... I'm inclined to believe him ... the motor does run perfectly. I'm turning the old motor into a man-cave coffee table.

- J
Yeah it sucked, but it was a good learning process for me so i cant really complain. Thats pretty good deal for a solid runner IMO.
Legit! Nice build.
Thanks man!!

Ill just leave this here

uploadfromtaptalk1431524430058.jpg

Back